Layered Filter issues on pivot

Mattuckoo

I’m getting in a mess with a pivot and need advice.

I have a data set with title rows of:
column A - free text surveys responses.
Column B- indication if the response in A is Positive, Negative, Mixed
Column C onwards - I have added a single word on the title row (eg, pay or clean etc) and run a formula to check false/true if that word appears in the free text comment in the corresponding row.

I now want to run and arrange pivot in a table to show the number of P/N/M responses (simple and done), but to then get a break down on top of that of how many True responses of each category sat in the P/N/M categories so I can then say ‘of the X number of negative comments, so many mentioned pay, so many mentioned cleanliness etc.

The trouble is that the Y/N nature of columns C onwards gives me an extra layer to filter in and I can’t filter out all the N returns.

I want a column in my pivot labelled ‘pay’ against rows marked PNM, but I’m getting columns labelled T/F and pay shunted away, as I lay more of source data columns C onwards on the table it gets confusing to see which pivot column is which and I can’t filter out the False data for all of them.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I’m getting in a mess with a pivot and need advice.

I have a data set with title rows of:
column A - free text surveys responses.
Column B- indication if the response in A is Positive, Negative, Mixed
Column C onwards - I have added a single word on the title row (eg, pay or clean etc) and run a formula to check false/true if that word appears in the free text comment in the corresponding row.

I now want to run and arrange pivot in a table to show the number of P/N/M responses (simple and done), but to then get a break down on top of that of how many True responses of each category sat in the P/N/M categories so I can then say ‘of the X number of negative comments, so many mentioned pay, so many mentioned cleanliness etc.

The trouble is that the Y/N nature of columns C onwards gives me an extra layer to filter in and I can’t filter out all the N returns.

I want a column in my pivot labelled ‘pay’ against rows marked PNM, but I’m getting columns labelled T/F and pay shunted away, as I lay more of source data columns C onwards on the table it gets confusing to see which pivot column is which and I can’t filter out the False data for all of them.
Apologies, I appear to have flitted between using T/F and Y/N interchangeably in this post.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back