League Operator Asstance

cuetipper

Board Regular
I help run a small pool league. We have about 30 teams. I would like to generate a spreadsheet to assist with team scheduling. We are given a schedule from teh league with teams $'s that tell us for teh session who plays
who on what week. But we need to figure out the game tables for them. They do so manually each week. What I was hoping for was a macro that would do that for the season. Ideally no team would ever play on the same tables [each match is issued two table] until they play them all any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I used to run a pool league. I did create some code that created tables for each week of play. It's complicated. Our league, like most have Sponsors with a set number of tables and teams.

The code I created worked about 99% of the time. Where it failed is when there were too many teams per Sponsor. Each team should have one table at the Sponsor's site. Two tables, two teams. Seems simple; except that you add Alternate Away vs Home and other factors.

I didn't finish the table before "losing interest". You know, like not getting paid, Sponsors that think they should get preferential treatment, teams that don't want to play at the less desirable locations, etc.

I have a semi-mature set of tables and macros if you're interested. You would either have to manually resolve the problem of too many teams per sponsor or change the code yourself.

Jeff

Upvote 0
Thank you i appreciate the offer. But as you are familiar with the initial structure maybe you can tweak it easily, if not I will give it a go. My requirements are simpler than what you started. 1 ] We have no Sponsors 2] we do not travel. So what i was looking for is where i enter the teams # per a given week ie week 1 [teams 1vs5 and 8vs15] for all the teams and it just assigns tables [two each]. It would be awesome that the table rotate so teams would work thru them all before repeating.

Upvote 0
You are in luck. As long as the number of tables can support the number of teams, the macro I've created will work for you. It would take too much to download all the code, the tables, and the formulas.

The left table is the team list. The next table is the Sponsor or Tavern table. The next table is the actual schedule that gets generated by the macro. I also created a matrix of teams that shows the number of games played by each combination.

My gift to the site. If anybody develops this any further, I request that you share any improvements in this thread. I'm particularly interested in solving the problem of a lack tables at one site and having to switch to a site with open tables. I manually made the switch after generating.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KouHoGxDAmA0SZX8ul993tLEweZBgeWI

Jeff

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back