Linear Interpolation. From target, minimum, maximum, and step values

adamas

Hey there, guys!

I'm struggling with a certain issue a bit. I need to calculate monthly bonuses in Excel in an automated way. Which basically means I need to answer the following question: "If we know minimum and maximum bonus amounts, starting target achievement, and step value, how much the bonus value at each step should be?"

Here's what categories I'm working with:
- Target achievement minimum: starts with 101% (= for 100% achievement nothing is paid)
- Bonus minimum: starts with 10% of salary (= for achievement of 101% [above], one gets 10% bonus - so those are the starting points)
- Bonus maximum/cap/ceiling: ends at 100% (= for some maximum achievement of X, one gets 100% bonus - and that's the maximum possible/ceiling)
- Steps for target achievement: always 1% (meaning 101% achievement, 102%, 103%, 104%, etc.)

How do I "interpolate" this data in Excel and calculate the X (bonus that should be awarded) for each step of target achievement (starting from 102% - second point)? Meaning to calculate how much bonus would be for achievement of 102%, 103%, etc. BUT it all ends at the maximum bonus value/cap, which is whenever Bonus is maximum (= 100%). And it should go linearly (hence the linear in the topic).

The solution can be either in one formula that "looks" at target achievement and returns a corresponding bonus award amount (ideally), or via an intermediary data table (e.g. which would have target achievement values from 101% to X%, and corresponding bonus award amounts ending at 100% - and then vlookup will be made in that table).

I hope I was somehow clear on explaining what I need to get to. Any help/pointers would be much, much appreciated! And thanks a lot in advance guys!

Last edited:
That formula wasn't meant for your example. It was meant as a standalone formula because you asked for one without using the table. It can be adapted for use with the table if you require.

Also I thought you wanted steps? If not they can be removed so it is a true straight line relationship between achievement and bonus.
Steve,

I applied the formula to my example simply because it was listing TA values (to use column A's values to return the bonus). So I just wanted a set of TA values to "test" it, so to say. But I see your point, I do.

Regarding steps, I mentioned them to illustrate that bonus goes in 1% increments. Meaning nobody gets a 1.5% bonus, it's either 1% or 2%, etc.

Pfff... At this point I'm simply thinking I'm not explaining this correctly. I do apologise :/
Please let me give this another go. What I'm trying to do based on the following data:
- TA Min: 101% (stored in a cell, never changes)
- TA Max: X% (stored in a cell, changes every time period)
- Bonus Min: 10% (stored in a cell, never changes)
- Bonus Max: 300% (stored in a cell, never changes)
- Relationships between TA and Bonus is FULLY linear (increases in a linear fashion)

>>> WHAT IDEALLY I NEED: a formula that would, based on known info above, return a Bonus number for a given TA (that lies somewhere between minimum and maximim). So basically position on the line based on TA value

Again, I do apologise for the quality of my explanation... But I hope it's clear(er) now : ]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Create a table like below:

ABC
1 AchievementBonus
2Min10110
3Max200200
5Achievement155
6Bonus Absolute Value113.6
7Bonus Rounded Down113
8Bonus Rounded Nearest114
<colgroup><col width="63" style="width: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2304;"> <col width="159" style="width: 119pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5814;"> <col width="90" style="width: 68pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3291;"> <col width="64" style="width: 48pt;"> <tbody> </tbody>

Fill in your min and max values.
Fill in your actual achievement
Cell B6 contains: =IF(B5<$B$2,0,MIN(FORECAST(B5,$C$2:$C$3,$B$2:$B$3),$C$3))
Cell B7 contains: =ROUNDDOWN(B6,0)
Cell B8 contains: =ROUND(B6,0)

This will calculate your bonus.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back