Linked to External Sources

tlc53

Hi,

When I open my main spreadsheet, it comes up that the workbook contains links to external sources. However, it shouldn't do! I have done multiple searches for formulas referring to external sources, none found. I have checked my Name Manager, no external links there. When I Edit Links, I can see it has one external link there. When I try to Break Link, it doesn't appear to do anything. After saving and re-opening the file it still refers to an external source link and the link is still showing under Edit Links. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
in Excel 2010
File/options/Addins
In other versions the way to get to options is one of those things that MS keep on changing, so I don't know about later versions

Upvote 0
Usually something like that is caused by chart data sources, data validation, or conditional formatting. If you have Tables in the workbook and any of them had a column whose default formula referred to another workbook, that can also be a cause, and is quite hard to break, but I'd start with the first three items.

Upvote 0
Solution
Usually something like that is caused by chart data sources, data validation, or conditional formatting.
Thanks so much for your post! It was because of conditional formatting and I have now been able to break all external links. I wouldn't have thought to have looked there. Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biglake87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back