Linking three tables in Power BI or Power Pivot

Rafael135

I have a restaurant and want to find out my theoretical ingredient use based on my recipes.

I have three tables,
1. MENU (pizza, lasagna)
2. RECIPES (8 ozs of ham per pizza)
3. CHECKS or INVOICES (for food served)
4. INGREDIENTS (ham, tomato, wine)

To find out how much ingredients I used I would link CHECKS or INVOICES ->MENU-> RECIPES->INGREDIENTS

Then I would multiply the number of items sold by the quantity per my recipe.

In regular Excel I would use sumifs() to find out how much ingredient I used. How do I do it in Power BI or Power Pivot ? Can I use DAX functions or should I use RELATE ?

RA

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
hello, Rafael

One approach. This can be done in standard Excel and is an alternative to SUMIFS or other formulas.

Try working like a database.

[In fact, if you have MS Access: set up tables in Access and creates queries that join the tables as required. The same SQL that defines the relationships can be used in Excel, when you set up matching tables in Excel.]

So set up tables in Excel. Maybe one per worksheet, one each for MENU, RECIPES, CHECKS, INGREDIENTS.

Then you can join the tables using SQL, for either query tables, pivot tables, etc. There is a graphical interface through MS Query, so you don't need to know SQL.

HTH

Upvote 0
What you want can most certainly be done in Excel / Power Pivot - doesn't look too hard (knock on wood). If you can provide a workbook with sample data i should be able to return the pivot for you. Just need 4 tables with data.

As far as dabbling with MS Access that is a whole new ball game if you haven't worked with it (or with databases in general) before. Not sure you want to journey down that road...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back