Links lost and changed to C drive

mesteptoe

Board Regular
I have devised a project management system. Basically there are individual workbooks for each project. Within each workbook there are around 30 separate worksheets to deal with Programme, Finance, Safety Audit, Notes etc. etc. Information from separate cells within each workbook are then linked back to an overall monitoring spreadsheet. The system was originally created on my own hard drive but is now on a network so that it is accessible by individual Project Managers. When saving it to the network the links were recreated to the network location.

Everything had been working fine but something odd happened today. All the links on the overall monitoring spreadsheet suddenly tried to lnk back to my C drive rather than the network location. I have overcome the problem by doing a Search and Replace with file names. Time consuming.

But does anyone know why this problem may have arisen - because, presumably, it could happen again.

Thanks for your help

Graham

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
When you originally put the monitoring spreadsheet on the network, did you put it there by doing a Copy from Explorer, maybe? Did you happen to edit the copy that's on your C drive today, and do File/Save As to the network?

Upvote 0
Hi Glenn

I understand your thinking but I'm pretty certain I didn't as the old file shouldn't be in my Explorer as it hasn't been accessed for a long time - many months.

Graham

Upvote 0
I don't know what you mean by "the old file shouldn't be in my Explorer"? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

But I must ask again, did you open a copy of the workbook from your C drive, and then save that onto the network?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back