A5: A3+A4

The above MOD function in A3 returns values between:

Code:
0 < = (A1/A2) < 1

In A5 I manage to have:

Code:
0 < (A1/A2) < = 1

Which is what I want.

That result in A5 is almost the same as the MOD function in A3, except that when A3 results in 0 (zero), A5 results in 1 (one).

I don't really need A4 nor A3, so I could combine them as:

Code:
A6: MOD(A1/A2,1)+(MOD(A1/A2,1)=0)

There should be a simpler (or alternative) way to get the same result, but I couldn't find it. Ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
@VoG,

My apologies for the other (now closed) topic. I couldn't find my own topic (this one I'm writing to), even using the forum's search function. In addition, it seems I am somehow "logging off", but I am NOT clicking on anything.

Anyway, my apologies. Now to the issue. Any suggestion for an alternative function (or combining with ceiling, floor, int...) so to achieve what I want?

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
One way:

=IFERROR(1/(1/MOD(A1/A2,1)), 1)

Upvote 0
That is a valid alternative, and I thank you for posting.

I don't think it is a "simpler" one though :(.

The formula I presented in the OP is also an "IF", used with boolean, so replacing that with an "IFERROR"...

I really can't believe that there is no simple alternative. I don't expect it to be a one-function method, but all the alternatives I am thinking about are failing me in some point of the results.

All the functions I know of, that are somehow related to MOD (INT, QUOTIENT, CEILING, FLOOR, ROUND*) are "defaulting" to the "zero" side of the formula, and I find hard to believe that there is no potential application for this type of results that would have triggered some simple alternative already.

I'll keep looking into it. If anyone have any idea (which I guess is more about math than about spreadsheets :) ), I'll be happy to hear about it.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what your criteria is. It's faster.

Upvote 0
A_ I wouldn't know how to calculate which method / formula is faster of those 2.

B_ The criteria is that I should use the more basic function I can.

(Side note: The formula I presented is only part of a more complex one, but the other parts are not relevant to the goal of simplifying this part of the formula. If this was the only part, I would be somehow OK with it.)

The formula needs to be as much compatible with older versions as it can (I don't have any specific version to aim to; just to make it as much compatible as I can), without special additions. I though about many other functions (like the ones I already mentioned in previous posts), but all of them fall to the "zero side".

Using the obvious "IF" alternative:

Code:
IF(MOD(A1/A2,1)=0,1,MOD(A1/A2,1))

is "just the same" (or maybe it is "faster" ? ).

Using:

Code:
1-MOD(A1/A2,1)

would give me the correct result when the MOD result is zero, but will "fail me" on any other result.

This is to show you just 2 of many combinations I am thinking about, but with no final success of simplifying the formula.

Any tips, clues, or recommendations (about the fastest and simplest alternative within the criteria mentioned), or any other suggestion, are very welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sktz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back