Live 'Log' of Activities and Running Macros?

L

Legacy 338103

Is there any way of seeing a log of the processes (including macros and user actions) that happen or are actively running in an excel workbook? One of my macros is messing stuff up but I'm not sure which one or why...

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
modify error trapping so it stops ?

Upvote 0
modify error trapping so it stops ?

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately its not an error per-se, just a process that is having knock on effects to Excel's core functions. Specifically, I can't change the values in cells whilst it runs. I'm pretty surprised that there hasn't been some sort of log made for VBA excel?

Upvote 0
people have written workbook event change logs that copy previous values to a hidden sheet, not sure that is what will work at this level.

when it has errored does it stop or just continue and you end up with bad results, when do you know it is failing ?

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your responses

people have written workbook event change logs that copy previous values to a hidden sheet, not sure that is what will work at this level.

when it has errored does it stop or just continue and you end up with bad results, when do you know it is failing ?

It continues for some time, I can't edit cells for about 5 minutes after I do something that triggers several macros (which should only take a few seconds), I'm trying to figure out which one is overrunning so I can then go about figuring out why - on the surface it seems that it could be a sheet activate macro, but there's no way that this could be taking 5 minutes.

That is the expected behavior. While a VBA sub is running, Excel's user interface doesn't.
I believe the term is "non-synchronus".

Its typically several .activate/.select macros that should only take a few seconds, but I can't figure out why they're overrunning (or which ones are).. Unless its not the macros and excel is just pausing to refresh the external sources data? That's why I'd love some sort of log where you could see excel is doing at any one time - it would be perfect for this situation :)

Upvote 0
you could try
DoEvents after some of the suspected issues, let excel take the time to process a sequence

Upvote 0
I'm trying to get something similar too, a bit like the log which is created automatically with SAS

Upvote 0
I have a very similar problem that I raised only a couple of days ago as a new thread. In my case Excel stops responding, so I also would like to find a way of tracing where it is when this happens. I shall follow this thread also.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azur3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back