Loading recordset into array...

bfreescott

Board Regular
I have a function that I pass string variables to, to make an ADODB connection to another workbook and run a query against. The variables provide the column and row for the table I am querying, so I am trying to understand how I can read the data from the recordset into an array that will be useful when it is returned. How does the array know which field is which?

Code:
rs.Open "SELECT * FROM [RCsheet$A1:BK94] WHERE Award = '" & p & "'", Conn, adOpenDynamic

This select statement will always return only one record/row from the table. If I loaded that recordset into an array, how would I identify the fields that the values are from when the array is returned to the sub? Furthermore, there may be fewer fields in the table than variables I am passing, so I'd like to avoid the 3265 error.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
You can use GetRows to return an array from the recordset but all you'll get is the data.

Upvote 0
Thanks Norie,

That approach won't work because I need to be able to id the Field when the data is returned.

Let's switch gears... if I already know the record and field I want from the table, what is the fastest way to return that value?
The code I have is way too slow because for each row that matches my "p" variable, I have dozens of fields to For-Each through.

Code:
rs.Open "SELECT * FROM [RCsheet$A1:BK94] WHERE Award = '" & p & "'", Conn, adOpenDynamic

For Each fld In rs.Fields
               If fld.Name = c Then
                    Get_WB_Numbers = rs(c)
               End If
            Next

Upvote 0
Not quite sure what you mean but you can get the value from a specific field, c, like this.
Code:
Get_WB_Numbers = rs.Fields(c)
Which on further review of your code is what you have here, though you are using shorthand by not using Fields.
Code:
Get_WB_Numbers = rs(c)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back