Loan Amortization Table with Extra Loan Payment Calculation

legalhustler

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I designed a amortization table (see link below). The top portion provides a summary of the loan, where the green color cells are hard coded input cells (except cell B8, because I do not know how to calculate the last year of a loan when a fixed extra amount is paid monthly).

Once the input cells have been complete in the summary section then the amortization below it updates accordingly; However, the amortization table goes into negative for the Principal Ending Balance column whenever I enter the "Extra Payment Amount per Month" in cell B7. The amortization table shows the correct payoff year when I do not have any extra payment amount per month. Can someone fix my formulas for each cell in the amortization table when there is fixed extra monthly payment inputted in cell B7 so that the correct information displays.

Dropbox - Loan Calculation.xlsx

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Your primary mistake is using PPMT and IPMT to calculate the monthly principal and interest amounts. Those functions calculate the monthly payment internally using PMT. They do not rely on what you calculate in B9.

Instead, interest in I17 should be calculated as L17*$B$10. And principal in F17 should be calculated as E17-I17.

Upvote 0
Your primary mistake is using PPMT and IPMT to calculate the monthly principal and interest amounts. Those functions calculate the monthly payment internally using PMT. They do not rely on what you calculate in B9.

Instead, interest in I17 should be calculated as L17*$B$10. And principal in F17 should be calculated as E17-I17.

Ok but I need a complete formula that accounts if I make a fixed extra monthly payment each month in cell B7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ok but I need a complete formula that accounts if I make a fixed extra monthly payment each month in cell B7.

Change I17 to the following and copy down the column:

=IF(D17="","",L17*$B$10)

Change F17 to the following and copy down the column:

=IF(D17="","",E17-I17)

Note that E17 is usually the value in B9, and B9 combines the regular monthly loan payment (PMT) plus any fixed extra monthly payment in B7.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syed902

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back