Locate Numbers and Write Count

SUSAN BAXTER

I was looking for help on creating some code to find sets of numbers. I can’t use a formula because their is problems with other VBA code I run in the same cell range when I do that.

The code would search for any set of numbers (1-1, 9-9, 20-1 etc.) in the ranges E3:E25, F10:F45, H3:H20 (I will need to be able to add additional ranges in the future). When the code locates a set of numbers it would perform a count and write the total results to cell A18.

The set of number cells are formatted as text.

That would do it. Thanks so much for all your help.

<style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 115%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif", serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Devanagari"; font-size: 12pt; }a:link { }</style>

I was looking for help on creating some code to find numbers 1 to 20.

The code would search for any numbers 1 to 20, in the ranges E3:E10, F10:F17, H3:H10 (I will need to be able to add additional ranges in the future). A positive result ones that have data in the cell to the right of it (see my example below). When the code has a positive result it would perform a count and write the total results to cell B18.

All cells have numbers in them but most do NOT have any data in the cell to the right of it. The set of number cells are formatted as general.

(Cell B18 below)

Cell ranges below:

E3
E4
E5 1, cell E6 has 1-1 in it
E6
E7
E8
E9
E10

F10
F11
F12
F13
F14
F15 2, cell F16 has 9-9 in it
F16
F17

H3 20, cell H4 has 20-1 in it
H4
H5
H6
H7
H8
H9
H10

In my above sample data the code would find 3 cells with sets of numbers in the cells to the right of it. First in cell E5 (number 1 with a 1-1 in cell E6), second cell F15 (number 2 with a 9-9 in cell F16) and third H3 (20 with a 20-1 in cell H4). The code would then add up the 3 positive results and write the count 3 to cell B18.

Thanks so much.
<style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 115%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif", serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Devanagari"; font-size: 12pt; }a:link { }</style>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
@SUSAN BAXTER
In future please do not quote PMs in public without the knowledge & permission of the sender.
Thank you

Upvote 0
Thank-you to both of you for your help. They both work great.

Upvote 0
Thank-you to both of you for your help. They both work great.

I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Hi Dante do you have time with a small change to your code?

The code would search for any numbers 1 to 20, in the ranges E3:E10, F10:F17, H3:H10 (I will need to be able to add additional ranges in the future). A positive result ones that have data in the cell to the right of it (see my example below). When the code has a positive result it would perform a count and write the total results to cell B18.

All cells have numbers in them but most do NOT have any data in the cell to the right of it. The set of number cells are formatted as general.

(Cell B18 below)

Cell ranges below:

E3
E4
E6
E7
E8
E9
E10

F10
F11
F12
F13
F14
F16
F17

H4
H5
H6
H7
H8
H9
H10

In my above sample data the code would find 3 cells with sets of numbers in the cells to the right of it. First in cell E5 (number 1 with a 1-1 in cell E6), second cell F15 (number 2 with a 9-9 in cell F16) and third H3 (20 with a 20-1 in cell H4). The code would then add up the 3 positive results and write the count 3 to cell B18.

Thanks so much.

Upvote 0
Hi Dante do you have time with a small change to your code?

(Cell B18 below)

Cell ranges below:

E3
E4
E6
E7
E8
E9
E10

F10
F11
F12
F13
F14
F16
F17

H4
H5
H6
H7
H8
H9
H10

Thanks so much.

I'm not sure what you need now.

What does this mean:

1, cell E6 has 1-1 in it

An image would help more.

The current code, what results return and what should return?

Upvote 0
This is difficult but I'll try. So cell E5 now has a 1 in it and the cell to the right of it (F5 has the 1-1 in it).

In your code, I changed the range cell to B18, the new cell to write to. Need to add that a positive result would only occur if a set of numbers (1-1, or 9-9 or 20-1 or any set of numbers) is beside the cell range E3:E10, F10:F17, H3:H10. <style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 115%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif", serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Devanagari"; font-size: 12pt; }a:link { }</style>

Sub CountSetData()
On Error Resume Next
Range("B18").Value = 0
Range("B18").Value = Range("E3:E10,F10:F17,H3:H10").SpecialCells(xlConstants).Count
End Sub <style type="text/css">pre { direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-align: left; }pre.western { font-family: "Liberation Mono", serif; }pre.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei Mono"; }pre.ctl { font-family: "Liberation Mono"; }p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 115%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif", serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Devanagari"; font-size: 12pt; }a:link { }</style>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is difficult but I'll try. So cell E5 now has a 1 in it and the cell to the right of it (F5 has the 1-1 in it).

In your code, I changed the range cell to B18, the new cell to write to. Need to add that a positive result would only occur if a set of numbers (1-1, or 9-9 or 20-1 or any set of numbers) is beside the cell range E3:E10, F10:F17, H3:H10. <style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 115%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif", serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Devanagari"; font-size: 12pt; }a:link { }</style>

Sub CountSetData()
On Error Resume Next
Range("B18").Value = 0
Range("B18").Value = Range("F3:F10,G10:G17,I3:I10").SpecialCells(xlConstants).Count
End Sub <style type="text/css">pre { direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-align: left; }pre.western { font-family: "Liberation Mono", serif; }pre.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei Mono"; }pre.ctl { font-family: "Liberation Mono"; }p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 115%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif", serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Micro Hei"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Devanagari"; font-size: 12pt; }a:link { }</style>

I'm still confused, instead of searching in E you should look in F?

Upvote 0
Hi Dante

Re reading my post I think I may see why it's not clear. The 3 ranges (E3:E10, F10:F17, H3:H10) all have numbers 1 to 20 in each cell. What they do not all have is a set of numbers in the cell to the right of them. So in my sample data cell E4 has number 7 in it but no set of numbers (2-2 or 99-1) in it so that would be a negative result but in cell E5 has 1 in it and a 1-1 in cell F5 that is a positive result and what needs to be counted and written to cell B18.

Thanks so much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KMGLarson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back