lock cell1 if cell1 = cell2

Ky1eb88

To be more exact I have a formula set to auto populate cell A2 with data that is entered in cell B1, and cell A3 with cell B2 ect...

I want the cell in column A to lock any time its value is equal to the value in column b on the previous row.

I'm new to VBA and cant work my head around on how to get this to going. I was able to get it to work with single cells, but even replicate that anymore.

Thanks,
Kyle

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Sorry, B is editable, only cells in A would be "locked."

OK here's a worksheet change macro you can use.
First, on your worksheet unlock all the cells in columns A & B (select both columns then Home>Cells>Format and click on Lock Cell. Be sure you have allowed users to select both locked and unlocked cells when you have protected the sheet.
To install the code:
1. Right-click the worksheet tab you want to apply it to and choose 'View Code'. This will open the VBE window.
2. Copy the code below from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
3. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
4. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim lR As Long, c As Range
lR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B1:B" & lR)) Is Nothing Then
    Me.Protect Password:="", userinterfaceonly:=True  'Add your password between the " marks
    For Each c In Range("A2:A" & lR)
        If c.Value = c.Offset(-1, 1).Value Then
            c.Locked = True
        Else
            c.Locked = False
        End If
    Next c
End If
End Sub
After you have installed the code, you can start it by entering a value in any B cell (if there is already a value there just enter that same value again). That's it, your A cells that equal the value in the B cell one row above will all be locked automatically. Or unlocked after being locked if the B companion should be changed so the value in A is no longer equal to its B companion.
Be sure to put your password into the code where indicated by the comment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First, on your worksheet unlock all the cells in columns A & B (select both columns then Home>Cells>Format and click on Lock Cell. Be sure you have allowed users to select both locked and unlocked cells when you have protected the sheet.
To install the code:
1. Right-click the worksheet tab you want to apply it to and choose 'View Code'. This will open the VBE window.
2. Copy the code below from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
3. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
4. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
Code:
    Me.Protect Password:="", userinterfaceonly:=True  'Add your password between the " marks
            c.Locked = True
        Else
            c.Locked = False
        End If
    Next c
End If
End Sub
After you have installed the code, you can start it by entering a value in any B cell (if there is already a value there just enter that same value again). That's it, your A cells that equal the value in the B cell one row above will all be locked automatically. Or unlocked after being locked if the B companion should be changed so the value in A is no longer equal to its B companion.

Thank you! I will try this later!!

Upvote 0
To install the code:
Code:
            c.Locked = True
        Else
            c.Locked = False
        End If
    Next c
End If
End Sub

I get a runtime error 1004
Unable to set the lock property of a range class.
Does this mean lock will not work in my situation?

I did have to change the columns this applies to to columns E and H as opposed to A and B

Upvote 0
I get a runtime error 1004
Unable to set the lock property of a range class.
Does this mean lock will not work in my situation?

I did have to change the columns this applies to to columns E and H as opposed to A and B
Post the modified code you are using.

Upvote 0
Post the modified code you are using.

I highly doubt I did it right but.. here it is:

Code:
lR = Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E1:E" & lR)) Is Nothing Then
    For Each c In Range("H2:H" & lR)
            c.Locked = True
        Else
            c.Locked = False
        End If
    Next c
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
I highly doubt I did it right but.. here it is:

Code:
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E1:E" & lR)) Is Nothing Then
    For Each c In Range("H2:H" & lR)
            c.Locked = True
        Else
            c.Locked = False
        End If
    Next c
End If
End Sub
You didn't do it justice. Could have saved time by posting the correct columns to begin with. I need to know:
Is column E the equivalent of column A in your original post? Is column H the equivalent of column B in your original post?

Upvote 0
You didn't do it justice. Could have saved time by posting the correct columns to begin with. I need to know:
Is column E the equivalent of column A in your original post? Is column H the equivalent of column B in your original post?

That that is correct A=E and B=H, just thought it was easier to explain using A and B

Upvote 0
That that is correct A=E and B=H, just thought it was easier to explain using A and B
Try this AND PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PUT YOUR PASSWORD IN THE CODE WHERE INDICATED BY THE BOLD RED COMMENT.
Rich (BB code):
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("H1:H" & lR)) Is Nothing Then
    For Each c In Range("E2:E" & lR)
        If c.Value = c.Offset(-1, 3).Value Then
            c.Locked = True
        Else
            c.Locked = False
        End If
    Next c
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back