lock cell1 if cell1 = cell2

Ky1eb88

To be more exact I have a formula set to auto populate cell A2 with data that is entered in cell B1, and cell A3 with cell B2 ect...

I want the cell in column A to lock any time its value is equal to the value in column b on the previous row.

I'm new to VBA and cant work my head around on how to get this to going. I was able to get it to work with single cells, but even replicate that anymore.

Thanks,
Kyle

Try this AND PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PUT YOUR PASSWORD IN THE CODE WHERE INDICATED BY THE BOLD RED COMMENT.
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim lR As Long, c As Range
lR = Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("H1:H" & lR)) Is Nothing Then
    Me.Protect Password:="", userinterfaceonly:=True  'Add your password between the " marks
    For Each c In Range("E2:E" & lR)
        If c.Value = c.Offset(-1, 3).Value Then
            c.Locked = True
        Else
            c.Locked = False
        End If
    Next c
End If
End Sub

Currently the sheet has no password its blank

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Currently the sheet has no password its blank
Then install the code I last posted as is - after you have unlocked columns E and H and protected the sheet. Then make a change in any cell in H to get started.

Upvote 0
Works fine for me so I can't reproduce or diagnose your error. Are any of the cells in column E and/or H merged?

Sorry like I said this is not my sheet some cells are merged, I don't need this to start until E11 and H10... Thanks for the help thus far!

Upvote 0
Sorry like I said this is not my sheet some cells are merged, I don't need this to start until E11 and H10... Thanks for the help thus far!
Always a good idea to inform of merged cells in your initial post!! That's probably the source of the error you are getting. You can fix this by testing for merged cells in the code, possibly noting their addresses in a string variable or an array variable, unmerging them to lock or unlock as required and then re-merging them.

Are the merged cells necessary? If not, I would encourage you to remove all merges in the range of interest.

You can edit the code to start at E11.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back