Locked cells are still editable even though not in "Allow user to edit ranges"-range.

olofmur

Hi,

I have a very weird issue that I have never encountered before. I am trying to protect my worksheet by only allowing certain ranges to be editable. When I protect the sheet it indeed locks (almost) everything but there are a few ranges that are still accessible, which would be catastrophic if they got changed by mistake. These ranges are NOT in the "allow users to edit ranges(AUTER) "-ranges. I've tried to delete all the ranges in AUTER and put them back in again but this changes nothing. I can still edit the same ranges even though they are suppose to be locked.

I took over this file from another guy, and I redid all the VBA coding in it. Now I remember that there were some VBA code that was locking and unlocking cells when I got it, but today there is nothing in the VBA that is doing anything like this. Could it be some weird "saved state" from the original VBA code that I can't change via the user interface of Excel?

I have no idea what to do and would appreciate any help I can get.

BR Olof

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Check to see if there is any code in the ThisWorkbook area within the Visual Basic Editor. There may be a Workbook_Open Event that is triggering something.

Best,

Tyler Hilton

Upvote 0
When you right click on a cell that you want locked and select Format Cells, Protection, make sure that the box next to Locked is checked.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back