logical functions IF, OR, And trying to get 4 different results and reference 4 different cells with the result in on cell

mikespda

Please help
What I am looking for is that I have a sheet that has grades. I have it in 4 sections for quarterly.
I am trying to do is in B1 is reference 4 different cells and determine 4 different results according to the data is these cells and copy from another 4 cells depending on the result....
If(F1) has a date then paste (E1), but if (Q1) has a date then paste (O1), or if (AB1) has a date then paste (Z1),or if (AM1) has a date then paste (AK1). It doesn't:( matter what the dates are, they will always be a ascending.
This is what I am using now but it is not working properly, it produces the results for the 3rd and 4th quarter, but if the not for the 1st and 2nd quarter. if the 1st and 2nd are filled in it will show (0) as the result. not until the 3rd quarter is filled in does it show the correct result..i am stuck PLS help

=IF(OR(F1>0,E1,E1,E1),IF(OR(Q1>0,O1,E1),IF(OR(AB1>0,Z1,O1),IF(AM1>0,AK1,Z1))))

B1=failing grades at this time
F1,Q1,AB1, and AM1=contains dates of when the quarterly grades came in
E1,O1,Z1, and AK1=contains the number of grades not passing in this particular quarter

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Welcome to the board..

Are you basically trying to find the date that is furthest to the right in F1 Q1 AB1 and AM1 ?
And return the corresponding value from E1 O1 Z1 and AK1 ?

Try

=LOOKUP(999,1/CHOOSE({1,2,3,4},F1,Q1,AB1,AM1),CHOOSE({1,2,3,4},E1,O1,Z1,AK1))

Upvote 0
It sounds like you need a bunch of nested if statements. The choose statement is identical to those nested ifs.

=CHOOSE(COUNT(F1,Q1,AB1,AM1),E1,O1,Z1,AK1)
is the same as
=if(count()=1,e1,if(count=2,o1,if(count=3,z1,if(count=4,ak1))))

Upvote 0
Please help 1 more time
That worked great!! Thank you very much, both of the responses worked like they were suppose to, I went with the =choose. Because I feel like I would use it more and really not comfortable using lookup yet..
I have two more problems if you don’t mind. I wanted to do 1 at a time instead of all together.
Same layout with quarterly
What I am looking for is that I have a sheet that has grades. I have it in 4 sections for quarterly.
I am trying to do is in C1 is to give me a running total of percentage of +/- of improvement from the start of the report compared to the quarterlies, another words take the average from 1st to 2nd, and then when the 3rd is inputted in a few months take the average 1st to 3rd, and then when the 4th is inputted at the end take the 1st to 4th all based on dates as listed in previus problem that you gave me the formula on and have the average in a percent. I have averages compared to each other throughout the sheet but do not even know where to begin for this formula
It doesn’t matter what the dates are, they will always be a ascending.
C1=???
I have these formulas working fine, just listing them for your reference
M1=average of 1st quarter
X1=average of 2nd quarter
AI1=average of 3rd quarter
AT1=average of 4th quarter
I have these formulas working fine, just listing them for your reference
P1=is the +/- percentage of improvement from 1st to 2nd quarter
AA1= is the +/- percentage of improvement from 2nd to 3rd quarter
AL1= is the +/- percentage of improvement from 3rd to 4th quarter
P1,AA1,and AL=percentage of + / - improvement from 1rst quarter to 2nd quarter, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th

F1,Q1,AB1, and AM1=contains dates of when the quarterly grades came in
P1,AA1,and AL=percentage of + / - improvement from 1rst quarter to 2nd quarter, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th
The second problem is how to write in (iserror) so as to hide the #VALUE! When they have no grades??
Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back