Logical Sequencing Problem

SanJose

I have a spreadsheet we use to display our Fantasy Football auction on a big screen in a conference room. Ten guys take turns 'nominating' a player, who can then be 'bought' by anyone. My sheet lists every nomination, 1-160, going through a logical sequence (Team A, Team B, Team C, Team D.. repeat).

The issue is, that once a team has drafted 16 players, he is out of the auction - when that happens, we skip that team and the next team gets to nominate. Hypothetically, the same team could bid on and win the first 16 players in the draft and be done (usually happens around pick 140 or so though).

Every year around this time I try and write a formula that can logically assign who is next automatically based on what happens in the auction - I have cells tracking how many players each team has, so I can trigger something when someone reaches 16, but I can't figure out how to program this (seemingly simple) operation.

A1 Team A
A2 Team B
A3 Team C
A4 Team D
A5 Team E
A6 Team F
A7 Team G
A8 Team H
A9 Team I
A10 Team J
A11 - [Want to put a formula here that will check to see if Team A has 16 players already - if he does not, it returns Team A, if it does, it checks Team B, and sticks him in IF he has less than 16, and so on - it could skip all the way down to Team J]

We usually just list the order as it should be, and do it by hand at the end, but it bothers me to know this is something Excel *could* do, and I'm standing in the way... any help would be appreciated!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Just a bit confused do you have a copy of the sheet you can upload? Where is the amount of players stored in the sheet to reference. ?

If your familar with vBa coding I would suggest something like :

Code:
 Sub HighlightMax ()

For I = 1 to 16 'Change To how many teams you have
      If Range("B" & I).Value = 16 Then  ' Checks number of players in team. IF number of players is in col B  
      	Range("A" & I).Interior.Color = vbRed  ' Change The Cell in Column A Red if nummber is 16
      End IF
    Next 

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back