Looking for Help to create an Excel or Access Database

Southern23

I have never created a database and I'm not sure if Excel is the correct format or maybe Access. I want to create a Physical Fitness Test database to allow students to check their progress or to see how they need to do in order to attain a certain percentage. The image shows a basic outline. The Gray blocks will have dropdowns. I have a feeling that Access would be the better option, but like I mentioned previously I have no experience building a database. I do know that Access builds off of Excel inputs. The variables are below.

1. Male or Female
2. Age - 13 through 17+
3. Exercises - Sit-ups, Push-ups and 1 mile run (these three need to be visible together
4. The number of repetitions or mile time which is attached to a percentage

Attachments

• PFT Database Question.png
    PFT Database Question.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
IMO Access is far better at being a database than Excel ever could be. If you have a requirement to share with concurrent users, it's really a no-brainer. However, it has a steep learning curve if you want a really good outcome. If you try to bypass that curve, you may end up with something that works to an extent but no way to know what difficulties you could end up with as a result. The most important thing is db normalization, which you definitely should understand and then put in to practice. Many Excel users migrate to Access and right off the bat they create db tables like they would spreadsheets. Big mistake.

If you will be the only user, a workbook might suffice. I'd say it all depends on what you want the tool to do. You haven't said much about that.
N.B. the only potentials I see for combos (drop downs) are Exercises and Gender, which seems to conflict a bit with your statement.
I'd say you ought to start with researching db peculiarities and see if it's something you want to learn. You may decide that it's not for you for this project, but you will be in a better position to evaluate Access as a potential tool for other projects.
Here's a thread with a lot of info links

Upvote 1
Micron

Thanks for the reply. I do think Access is the way I want to go. I mentioned above that the students will be given access to the database, in locked down format, to search their physical training results or what they need to get for a higher score. I have attached one of the exercises they need to do in their physical fitness test. The first thing they would select would be gender, then age and so on.

I have started watching Access training videos since I'm a noob at it. I know Excel well enough, but have zero experience with Access. I know there is a lot of variables within Access, but hopeful I can learn to do it.

Attachments

• Database Table Example.png
    Database Table Example.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Your students may be better off with Access RunTime version. It's free, and they can't get into design mode with any db objects.
I'm afraid that the numbers in those fields don't mean anything to me so I can't comment on them. I can advise that data such as Age, should never be calculated in a db (probably the same goes for wb's). You should always calculate it based on DOB and current date.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
The age will just send them to a different set of repetitions that correlate to a different percentile. I really can't use birthdate.

Upvote 0
You are missing the point, and yes you can, and yes you should.
Age is volatile. One day you are an age and the next day you are a year older. Then what? If you do this properly, that will never happen.
I've been dabbling in Access since about 1990. If that holds no sway to anyone, then so be it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back