Looking up text string and creating your own expression

losamfr17

Board Regular
Dear forum members,

I'm a beginner user, and I was wondering if you could please help me solve this problem...?

I'm looking for a way/function to look up a specific word in a text column, and I want to be able to call that cell something else. For example, I'm trying to look up the word "*major*" in column 31 (AE) and row 50, and if that word appears in that row and column, I want the cell to appear as "Major Member." Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Best regards,
Losamfr17

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Try this (adjust as necessary):

Code:
Sub UpdateFoundCells():
'Updates cells found with a criteria with an new value (assumes column AE/ 21st and checks first 1,000 rows).

Dim rngCurrentCell As Range

For Each rngCurrentCell In ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Cells(1, 31), Cells(1000, 31))
        If LCase(rngCurrentCell) = "major" Then
            rngCurrentCell = "Major Member"
        End If
    Next

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Professor Porcupine,

Thank you so much for sending me your code. I was just able to run it today. It gave me an error message (as you pointed out it needs adjustment). Since I have no background in VBA, I'm looking into a solution using online resources. I appreciate your time.

Upvote 0
Have you tried using Find and Replace? Replace *major* with Major Member

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well my problem is a bit more complex. I'm trying to automate a task. Column G needs to be filled. Each row to be filled depends on a keyword, "major," written on column AE (31). For each row where "major" appears within the text string in AE, I want "Major Member" to appear in column G.

I hope this is clearer than my first post. Thank you for your consideration.

PS: if I were to use Find & Replace, could I automate that task for the entire data table?

Upvote 0
If you have your data set up as a table, you can write this formula (note that I have my table headers as column 1 for the strings and column 2 where the formula goes.

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("major",[@Column1])),"Major Member","")

This will search for the word major in Column1 and if it finds it, show Major Member in column 2, otherwise it will be blank.

AB
1Column1Column2
2I am a major painMajor Member
3123major456Major Member
4banana

<tbody>
</tbody>

When you add a new string into column 1, column 2 will automatically drag the formula down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FalconDude,

Thank you so much! You're awesome. I wish I had your expertise.

You pretty much solved it, but I have one questions to add: instead of writing the column name, can I write the column letters (like "AE") number (31)?

Upvote 0
Sure, replace [@Column1] with AE:AE

For my example,
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("major",A:A)),"Major Member","") worked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, why won't the IF function work alone?

Thank you!

That I do not know. I first tried =IF(A2="*major*","Major Member","") to see if the wildcard * would pick major out of a string but it didn't work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rache47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back