Lookup for Comma-separated values with numerical suffixes

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hi there, I was wondering if would be possible to use a cell with comma-separated values that have suffixes (i.e. iterations or repetitions) that in turn translate into the full value in the lookup table. The dataset we use is frankly ugly, but it would be nice if there was a way to make the process easier as at the moment, I have a formula that strips all the numbers from the data and then does an TEXTJOIN(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH())) resulting in the full values, but not the numerical suffixes.

DataDesired ResultValueFull Value
APP,BAN1Apple, BananaAPPApple
ORA1,ORA2Orange, Orange 2BANBanana
APP,ORA1,BAN2Apple, Orange, Banana 2ORAOrange

Values without a numerical suffix or a suffix of 1 have the same behavior, whilst values greater than 1 result in their suffixes being included at the end of their full value. I am unfortunately unable to use VBS in our workflow as our work is done using Office 365 on the Web.

I greatly appreciate the help!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi
and welcome
For The layout
Book1
ABCDE
1DataDataValueFull Value
2APP,BAN1Apple,Banana1APPApple
3ORA1,ORA2Orange1,Orange2BANBanana
4APP,ORA1,BAN2Apple,Orange1,Banana2ORAOrange
Sheet1

Try
VBA Code:
Sub test()
    Dim a, b, x, c
    Dim i&, ii&
    b = Cells(2, 4).CurrentRegion.Columns(1)
    c = Cells(2, 4).CurrentRegion.Columns(2)
    a = Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion.Columns(1)
    For i = 2 To UBound(a)
        x = Split(a(i, 1), ",")
        For ii = 0 To UBound(x)
        If Len(x(ii)) <> 3 Then
            a(i, 1) = Replace(a(i, 1), x(ii), c(Application.Match(Left(x(ii), 3), b, 0), 1) & Right(x(ii), 1))
        Else
            a(i, 1) = Replace(a(i, 1), x(ii), " " & c(Application.Match(Left(x(ii), 3), b, 0), 1))
        End If
        a(i, 1) = Join(Split(a(i, 1), ","), ", ")
        Next
    Next
    Cells(1, 2).Resize(UBound(a)) = a
End Sub

Reactions: 100
Upvote 0
Hi
and welcome
For The layout
Book1
ABCDE
1DataDataValueFull Value
2APP,BAN1Apple,Banana1APPApple
3ORA1,ORA2Orange1,Orange2BANBanana
4APP,ORA1,BAN2Apple,Orange1,Banana2ORAOrange
Sheet1

Try
VBA Code:
Sub test()
    Dim a, b, x, c
    Dim i&, ii&
    b = Cells(2, 4).CurrentRegion.Columns(1)
    c = Cells(2, 4).CurrentRegion.Columns(2)
    a = Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion.Columns(1)
    For i = 2 To UBound(a)
        x = Split(a(i, 1), ",")
        For ii = 0 To UBound(x)
        If Len(x(ii)) <> 3 Then
            a(i, 1) = Replace(a(i, 1), x(ii), c(Application.Match(Left(x(ii), 3), b, 0), 1) & Right(x(ii), 1))
        Else
            a(i, 1) = Replace(a(i, 1), x(ii), " " & c(Application.Match(Left(x(ii), 3), b, 0), 1))
        End If
        a(i, 1) = Join(Split(a(i, 1), ","), ", ")
        Next
    Next
    Cells(1, 2).Resize(UBound(a)) = a
End Sub
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, we are unable to use VBS for our workflow (Excel for Web) and we have differing lengths for each value - although the farthermost numerical value (i.e. if value is ORAN1, lookup for ORAN and the end value '1') is always identical and what I need. At the moment I have a formula like this for the table you posted:
Excel Formula:
=TEXTJOIN(", ",1,IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(","&D2:D4&",",","&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,1,""),2,""),3,""),4,""),5,""),6,""),7,""),8,""),9,""),0,"")&",")),E2:E4, ""))

Although it's ugly, it does do the work of eliminating the numerical values and indexing the value that I am looking for. Being able to add those numerical suffixes at the end however would make the whole workflow a lot easier though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, we are unable to use VBS for our workflow (Excel for Web) and we have differing lengths for each value - although the farthermost numerical value (i.e. if value is ORAN1, lookup for ORAN and the end value '1') is always identical and what I need. At the moment I have a formula like this for the table you posted:
=TEXTJOIN(", ",1,IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(","&D2:D4&",",","&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,1,""),2,""),3,""),4,""),5,""),6,""),7,""),8,""),9,""),0,"")&",")),E2:E4, ""))

Although it's ugly, it does do the work of eliminating the numerical values and indexing the value that I am looking for. Being able to add those numerical suffixes at the end however would make the whole workflow a lot easier though.
VBA* - apologies for the typo in the post.

Upvote 0
How about
Fluff.xlsm
ABCDE
1DataDataValueFull Value
2APP,BAN1Apple,BananaAPPApple
3ORA1,ORA2Orange,OrangeBANBanana
4APP,ORA1,BAN2Apple,Orange,BananaORAOrange
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B4B2=TEXTJOIN(",",,VLOOKUP(LEFT(TEXTSPLIT(A2,","),3),$D$2:$E$4,2,0))

Upvote 0
Another option to return the numbers
Excel Formula:
=LET(t,TEXTSPLIT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"1",""),","),TEXTJOIN(",",,VLOOKUP(LEFT(t,3),$D$2:$E$4,2,0)&MID(t,4,4)))

Upvote 0
Another option to return the numbers
Excel Formula:
=LET(t,TEXTSPLIT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"1",""),","),TEXTJOIN(",",,VLOOKUP(LEFT(t,3),$D$2:$E$4,2,0)&MID(t,4,4)))
Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately some of the values I have are more than 3 characters long (e.g., APP, BANA, ORAN) which is why I went with the route of bruteforcing the numbers out and then using a lookup. If I also can't have the suffixes for the values displayed with the suffixes (for example APP2, BANA2, ORAN3 resulting in Apple 2, Banana 2, Orange 3) the formula I have in #3 is what I'll have to stick with for now.

Upvote 0
Are all the numbers only one digit long?

Upvote 0
Are all the numbers only one digit long?
Some values are stylized in a way like 1, 2, and some 01, 02, but the furthermost numerical value is the only thing that I need. A more detailed example as my initial one was lacking (apologies):
DataDesired ResultValueFull Value
AP01,ORAN2,BAN1Apple (1), Orange 2, Banana (1)APApple
APRI,BAN2Apricot, Banana (2)ORANOrange
BANBanana
APRIApricot

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=LET(t,TEXTSPLIT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"0",""),","),b,ISNUMBER(RIGHT(t)+0),TEXTJOIN(",",,VLOOKUP(LEFT(t,LEN(t)-b),$D$2:$E$5,2,0)&MID(t,LEN(t)+1-b,4)))

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back