Lookup multiple criteria and find match within mixed alpha numerical cells and return the value matched

Chrissy_M

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I need help with the following please. We get reports with hundreds of lines and I need to verify the error descriptions to catalogue and process errors. Only problem is the criteria is very specific and appears at different parts of string within the cell. Please see image attached to better explain the following:

B:B - column requiring formula

B2 to look for any criteria in full from D2:D6, search cell A2, and return value from D2:D6 that was found and matched.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• Mr Excel - Error Descriptions - 240517.png
    Mr Excel - Error Descriptions - 240517.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 16
To summarize the conditions:
If the Error Description (C) is "Ignore" then D = "Ignore", it doesn't matter if it's new or old.
If the Error Description (C) is NOT "Ignore" then check the Analysis sheet. If it's on the Analysis sheet then it's an old/duplicate error so "Ignore", else "New Error".

Excel Formula:
=IF(C2="Ignore", "Ignore",IF(COUNTIF('Error Analysis'!A:A, B2)>0,"Ignore","New Error"))

Upvote 1

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
To summarize the conditions:
If the Error Description (C) is "Ignore" then D = "Ignore", it doesn't matter if it's new or old.
If the Error Description (C) is NOT "Ignore" then check the Analysis sheet. If it's on the Analysis sheet then it's an old/duplicate error so "Ignore", else "New Error".

Excel Formula:
=IF(C2="Ignore", "Ignore",IF(COUNTIF('Error Analysis'!A:A, B2)>0,"Ignore","New Error"))
Wow, you are super clever! I would never have come up with that and I think my brain is pre-conditioned to over-complicating things. This is fabulous, thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natlmc4877

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back