Lookup unique values from two different columns

agatonsaxx

Hi everyone,

I would like to be able to summarize unique values from two different columns. Here is my example:

Column A (Month) | Column B (Name)
January John Doe
January John Doe
January Clark Kent
February Clark Kent
February Mr Black
April Mr Black
April Mr Black

What i would like to be able to do, is to write a formula that can look inside the two columns and sort out the unique values of the name based on in which month the name occured.

In this case i would like it to show:

Unique customers in january: 2 (John Doe + Clark Kent)
Unique customers in februari 2 (Clark Kent + Mr Black)
Unique customers in April 1 (Mr Black)

I have the following formula that only looks in the Name column and gives me the correct value, but it looks on all the values, instead of including the month criteria.

[FONT=&quot]=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A2:A10)>0,MATCH(A2:A10,A2:A10,0),""), IF(LEN(A2:A10)>0,MATCH(A2:A10,A2:A10,0),""))>0,1))

[/FONT]
Can somebody please help me with this or say if it is possible in any way?

Best regards
AgatonSaxx

Hi Aladin,

What i would like is to find a formula that will be able to distinguish between unique values (customer name) during the same month but return an amount depending on a specific status.

Customer nameMonthAmountStatus
John DoeSeptember10 000Not active
John DoeSeptember12 000Active
John DoeSeptember11 000Active
Mr BlackSeptember10 000Active

<tbody>
</tbody>

Expected result:

Active customers in september: 2 (John Doe and Mr Black)
Active amount in september: 22 000 (John Doe and Mr Black)

The issue i have been experiencing is that when i use the formula for unique values, it will only look for the duplicate name and then return the first value (amount) even though that specific customer is "Not active".

I do not want John Doe (10 000) to be returned in value, since he is Inactive. But i understand that I might have to settle for the two active john does, that it will return the amount of the first john doe (12 000 instead of 11 000).

Do you understand how i mean?

Best regards
Agatonsaxx

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Well no, since we have already said that we want to know the unique values for the customers during a month.

As i understood it, since the formula will look at the name and decide if it is the same, it will fetch the value from the first customer. That is why it will not include the second amount for John Doe.

Best regards
AgatonSaxx

Upvote 0
Well no, since we have already said that we want to know the unique values for the customers during a month.

As i understood it, since the formula will look at the name and decide if it is the same, it will fetch the value from the first customer. That is why it will not include the second amount for John Doe.

Best regards
AgatonSaxx

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
1Customer nameMonthAmountStatusmonthstatus# distinctamount distinct
2John DoeSeptember10000Not activeSeptemberActive222000
3John DoeSeptember12000Active
4John DoeSeptember11000Active
5Mr BlackSeptember10000Active
Sheet1

In H2 control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(($A$2:$A$5<>"")*($B$2:$B$5<>"")*($B$2:$B$5=F2)*($D$2:$D$5=G2),MATCH($A$2:$A$5&"|"&$B$2:$B$5&"|"&$D$2:$D$5,$A$2:$A$5&"|"&$B$2:$B$5&"|"&$D$2:$D$5,0)),ROW($A$2:$D$5)-ROW(INDEX($A$2:$D$5,1,1))+1),1))

In I2 control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(($A$2:$A$5<>"")*($B$2:$B$5<>"")*($B$2:$B$5=F2)*($D$2:$D$5=G2),MATCH($A$2:$A$5&"|"&$B$2:$B$5&"|"&$D$2:$D$5,$A$2:$A$5&"|"&$B$2:$B$5&"|"&$D$2:$D$5,0)),ROW($A$2:$D$5)-ROW(INDEX($A$2:$D$5,1,1))+1),$C$2:$C$5))

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

Thanks for your reply and help! I will try this, it looks like this will solve my issue!

Thanks again for your help!

Best
Agatonsaxx

Upvote 0
Hi again Aladin!

The problems just keeps adding up the further i come in this case. Is there anyway to return a value between two different dates? I have used the following formula but it just says #WRONG (something in swedish).

Customer nameOfferingdateStatus
John Doe2018-09-05Active
John Doe2018-09-05Active
Mr Black2018-08-05Active
Mr Pink2018-09-02Active

<tbody>
</tbody>

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF((A2:A4<>"")*(C2:C4="Active")*(B2:B4&">="&DATE(2018;9;1))*(B2:B4&"<"&DATE(2018;10;1));MATCH(A2:A4;A2:A4;0));ROW(A2:C4)-ROW(INDEX(A2:C4;1;1))+1);1))

The expected result is the following:
Active customers in the offering period (2018-09-01 to 2018-10-01) = 2 (John Doe and Mr Pink).
Mr Black and John Doe (the second) should not be counted.

I guess i have done something wrong with the dateformula.

Best regards
Agatonsaxx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used your data sample in post #21 and now you come up with a different sample in post #27 . Can we keep us on track?

Book1
ABCDE
1Customer nameOfferingdateStatus2018-09-01
2John Doe2018-09-05Active2
3John Doe2018-09-05Active
4Mr Black2018-08-05Active
5Mr Pink2018-09-02Active
Sheet2

In E2 control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(($A$2:$A$5<>"")*($B$2:$B$5>=E1)*($B$2:$B$5<=EOMONTH(E1,0))*($C$2:$C$5="active"),MATCH($A$2:$A$5,$A$2:$A$5,0)),ROW($A$2:$D$5)-ROW(INDEX($A$2:$D$5,1,1))+1),1))

Replace the comma list separator with the semi-colon that your system needs.

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

I am sorry for being inconsistent with my questions. The thing is that my document consist of a lot of different columns and rows and different scenarios for how to calculate the different states. So the further i come the more questions arrise. Thank you for your help so far it has been really great!

best regards
AgatonSaxx

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_a_advisoryforall

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back