Loop through a named range and using application.vlookup, application.rank and store the results in an array

Waimea

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have crossposted a similar question at https://www.excelforum.com/excel-pr...lues-instead-of-looping-through-combobox.html.

I am trying to learn how to loop through a named range and a range and then using Application.Vlookup, Application.Rank and Application.Index, Application.Match on the named range/range.

At the moment I am using a for loop to iterate through an ActiveX ComboBox to perform Vlookups and I would like to run Application.Vlookup on a range instead to see if it is faster then accessing the value through the ComboBox.

MyRange contains 40 cities and I would like to Vlookup 5 values for each city, rank each value and then finally write the results to my spreadsheet, with the results of the vlookup, the rank and maybe index & match lookup also for more flexible lookups.

If possible I would also like to learn how to store the results in an array?

This code I got working and I understand it.
Code:
Sheets("Dash).Range("M18") = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Dash").Range("F5"), Sheets("Data").Range("A1:PY305"), 2, False)

This code I don't understand?
Code:
Sub WantToBeLooped()

Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer
Dim myRange as Range

Set myRange = ???
Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Dash")
Set ws1 = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Data")

LastRow = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Dash").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

With ws
' I don't understand how this works
    For j = 1 To Lastrow
        For i = 1 To LastColumns
        On Error Resume Next

Sheets("Dash).Range(i, j) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Dash").Range(myRange, i), Sheets("Data").Range("A1:PY305"), 2, False)

Next i
    Next j
End With

End Sub

I am grateful for all help I can get!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Code:
Sub Test()
Dim i As Long
Dim lr As Long

Dim R As Long
Dim WkArr

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

lr = Sheets("Test").range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    R = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
    ReDim WkArr(1 To 40, 1 To 4)
    For i = 2 To lr

On Error Resume Next

If Sheets("Test").CheckBox1 = True Then
        WkArr(i, 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 314, False) - Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 107, False)
        WkArr(i, 2) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 316, False) - Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 108, False)
        WkArr(i, 3) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 317, False) - Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 109, False)
        WkArr(i, 4) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Costs").range("A1:U322"), 14, False)

ElseIf Sheets("Test").CheckBox2 = True Then
        WkArr(i, 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 314, False) - Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 107, False)
        WkArr(i, 2) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 316, False) - Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 108, False)
        WkArr(i, 3) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 317, False) - Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Data").range("A1:PY305"), 109, False)
        WkArr(i, 4) = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Test").range("A" & i), Sheets("Costs").range("A1:U322"), 14, False)
    End If

Next i   

With Sheets("Test")
        .Cells(R, 1).Resize(UBound(WkArr, 1), UBound(WkArr, 2)) = WkArr
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Now I think I have got it working, how can I use Application.WorksheetFunction.Rank on the array?

Also, Is there a better way to do what I am trying to do with the checkboxes. Checked means that I am including it, unchecked means that I am excluding it.

Upvote 0
It seems like the best way is to drop the array on the worksheet and then ranking it.

I am trying to loop through all possible combinations of Vlookup in my range.

My range is in ("A2:A41) and I am trying to assign the value of the range to be my array.

Can someone give me some help on how to proceed?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back