LTM

Rick1427

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
HI there,
Is there an easy way to calculate Last Twelve Months' number if you have leading blanks and lagging blanks in a range of say 100 columns? I've tried the following

=SUM(OFFSET(O9,0,COUNT(P9:DS9),1,-MIN(COUNT(P9:DS9),12)))

Where column O is the starting point,
Count P9:DS9 is the number of months of revenue from a client (could be 1 to 100 months of revenue in a 100 month set),
and the -min part is simply saying take either 12 months or the number of months there, (e.g. 3)

The problem. is my starting point needs to take into account the number of leading blanks but I'm not sure out to add +Countblanks(P9:P___) where ___ needs to be dynamic.

I thought about a way a lookup can find where blanks turn to zeros but I'd need 200 helper cells. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

-Rick

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
It's not clear to me whether you want to sum the cells beginning closer to the P column or the DS column. I'm assuming the P column end. See if this is close to what you want. This counts how many nonblank cells are in the full range and then creates a sequenced array from 1 up to the count, not exceeding 12. Let's call that number of cells m. Starting at column P, the first m columns that have numeric values are summed. If you want the first m columns starting at column DS and working back toward column P, change the "15" to "14" in the formula. Since you are using 365, you probably will not have to enter this with Control-Shift-Enter (should be natively recognized).
Book2
OPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAEAFAGAH
7sum25
8column #12345678910111213141516171819
9values113312332114
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
P7P7=SUM(INDEX($P9:$DS9,N(IF(1,AGGREGATE(15,6,(COLUMN($P9:$DS9)-COLUMN($O9))/($P9:$DS9<>""),ROW(INDIRECT(1&":"&MIN(COUNT($P9:$DS9),12)))),0))))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.

Upvote 0
HI there,
Is there an easy way to calculate Last Twelve Months' number if you have leading blanks and lagging blanks in a range of say 100 columns? I've tried the following

=SUM(OFFSET(O9,0,COUNT(P9:DS9),1,-MIN(COUNT(P9:DS9),12)))

Where column O is the starting point,
Count P9:DS9 is the number of months of revenue from a client (could be 1 to 100 months of revenue in a 100 month set),
and the -min part is simply saying take either 12 months or the number of months there, (e.g. 3)

The problem. is my starting point needs to take into account the number of leading blanks but I'm not sure out to add +Countblanks(P9:P___) where ___ needs to be dynamic.

I thought about a way a lookup can find where blanks turn to zeros but I'd need 200 helper cells. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

-Rick
...leading blanks meaning many cells with blank values, then any number of populated cells, then any number of blank cells again. Thanks!

Upvote 0
It's not clear to me whether you want to sum the cells beginning closer to the P column or the DS column. I'm assuming the P column end. See if this is close to what you want. This counts how many nonblank cells are in the full range and then creates a sequenced array from 1 up to the count, not exceeding 12. Let's call that number of cells m. Starting at column P, the first m columns that have numeric values are summed. If you want the first m columns starting at column DS and working back toward column P, change the "15" to "14" in the formula. Since you are using 365, you probably will not have to enter this with Control-Shift-Enter (should be natively recognized).
Book2
OPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAEAFAGAH
7sum25
8column #12345678910111213141516171819
9values113312332114
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
P7P7=SUM(INDEX($P9:$DS9,N(IF(1,AGGREGATE(15,6,(COLUMN($P9:$DS9)-COLUMN($O9))/($P9:$DS9<>""),ROW(INDIRECT(1&":"&MIN(COUNT($P9:$DS9),12)))),0))))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.
Wow thanks very much. I'll give it a try.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back