Macro security warning toolbar vs popup

sampr

[I had posted this question 10 days ago in the Technical Excel Issues forum, but didn't get any response. Posting it this forum, since there seems to be more activity on this one.]

Hi,
When I open a macro-enabled .xls or .xlt file in Excel 2007, I've noticed 3 different behaviors:
(Note: I've set the macro security level in the Trust Center to the default value: Disable all macros with notification)

1. Sometimes I get a popup window that asks whether I want to enable or disable macros. After I select one of the 2 options, the workbook gets opened.
2. Sometimes I get a security warning in the toolbar on the top saying 'Macros have been disabled'. The workbook is now opened, and can be worked on. There's an Options button next to this warning in the toolbar. Clicking on this button allows you to turn on macros.
3. When creating an xls by opening an xlt file, no warning is shown.

Note: Excel 2003 always shows the popup window (case 1) for both xls and xlt files

In Excel 2007, The difference between 1 and 2 is that in the case of 2, you can work on the file for some time, and then choose to turn on macros. In this case, I sometimes get weird errors in my code (which I believe is related to some logic in Workbook_Open).

Does anyone know why there's this inconsistency, and how I can get rid of the toolbar (case 2) and force the popup (case 1) to be displayed instead?
Thanks,
Sam

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
You get 1 if you have opened the VBEditor, 2 otherwise. There is no way to change that - it's the new behaviour (continues in 2010).

Upvote 0
Hi rorya,
Thanks much for that explanation. That was driving me nuts :) Now at least I know what's going on.

I have a question on my case #3:
If I open an XLT file in Excel 2007, I don’t get the macro security warning if I open it from the templates folder. But if I copy the same XLT file to some other folder and open it from there, then I get the warning.
In Excel 2003, I always get the warning on XLT files.
Any idea whether this is the expected behavior in Excel 2007 and why? Or is this a bug in Excel 2007?

Thanks,
Sam

Upvote 0
Your templates folder should be a Trusted Location in 2007, so that is to be expected.

Upvote 0
Hi rorya,
Thanks again for the info. This is very helpful. I was not aware of the Trusted Locations concept in Office 2007.
I'm curious about the security implications of this feature. Since Excel 2007 pre-defines certain trusted folders like the templates folder, isn't it easy for malicious software to create a file in on of these locations, which the end user may open inadvertently and bypass the security settings on the pc?
Thanks,
Sam

Upvote 0
If you already have malicious software on your PC, then Excel macros are the least of your worries! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back