New Security Settings Blocking Macros

sparky2205

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
This topic has already been discussed here:

I'm starting a new thread because the previous one is old and I have a further question.
From my searches I understand that Microsoft implemented these new security changes last year.
This is the first time I have seen an issue with them.
I have a user who is getting the dreaded:
1697463018022.png

But here's the interesting bit; he emailed me the file to check it out and I don't have the same issue. I just get the usual Enable Macros message.
So I opened the file, closed it and emailed it back to the user and now he can open it without getting the Security Risk message.

Anyone any thoughts on why this would happen?
I'm concerned I'm about to get a deluge of similar calls.

The Trusted Location option isn't an option as I have a lot of files which can be at various locations.
The option of Unblocking the file under Properties also isn't an option as there is no Unblock option in the File Properties > General tab.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
How did the user receive the file in question and where did he save it? Perhaps the message was sent from outside of your organisation's domain?

Upvote 0
The file was received via email from a customer. So yes, it would have been outside of our domain. And I can see where the new security rules would kick in.
An when I sent it back to the user via email it would be within our domain. This would also explain why the users colleague could also open the file without issue.
But are we really saying that without any intervention a blocked file can simply be unblocked by resending it within a domain?

Upvote 0
How did the user receive the file in question and where did he save it? Perhaps the message was sent from outside of your organisation's domain?
It would appear I've answered my own question. And the answer is yes.
I got the user to forward the customer's email to himself and the attached file, which displays the Security Risk message when opened directly from the customer's email, now opens without issue. i.e. The Security Risk message doesn't appear. The Enable Macros button can be pressed as normal and the macros are enabled.
Is this really a security improvement or just an inconvenience?

@jkpieterse thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Upvote 0
Many will see this as an inconvenience, but due to the many infested Office files with malicious code being sent around in the past years Microsoft had to do something. I'm not to happy with it, but I guess this is what we'll have to put up with.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back