Macro to hide empty columns in a range is not working

glennpc

I have a range of data with many columns, and each day it will be updated-- it will always have the same columns but a variable number of rows. The goal is that my macro will look at a specific set of 39 columns in the middle of the range beginning with the right most one, and examine the cells (not including a header name cell) in that column to see if they are null. If they are all null, the macro is supposed to hide the column and then move a column to the left and repeat. The macro should stop when it finds a column that has data in one of the cells. This is the code:

Sub HideEmptyColumns()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim lRow As Long
lRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row

a_tab = ActiveSheet.Name
For x = 49 To 11 Step -1
anybody = False
For y = 8 To lRow
chk_yx = Worksheets(a_tab).Cells(y, x)
If Not IsNull(chk_yx) Then anybody = True
Next y
If Not anybody Then Worksheets(a_tab).Cells(1, x).ColumnWidth = 0
Next x

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

This looks like it ought to work, but when I test it, it does not hide the columns that it should. Anybody see an error?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Try:
Code:
Sub FindAddress()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Dim lCol As Long
    lCol = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count
    Dim x As Long
    For x = lCol To 1 Step -1
        If WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range(Cells(2, x), Cells(LastRow, x))) = 0 Then
            Columns(x).EntireColumn.Hidden = True
            Exit Sub
        End If
    Next x
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
An alternative approach: Try this will hide all blank columns (excluding 1st row) in the region with the active cell. You can change the loops start/end values if you need. Will be faster.

Sub hidecols()
'************************************************************************************************
'*
'************************************************************************************************
Dim cNbr, rNbr, maxRows, maxCols As Integer
Dim cr As Range
Set cr = ActiveSheet.Cells.CurrentRegion
maxRows = UBound(cr.Value, 1) '* Rows
maxCols = UBound(cr.Value, 2) '* Columns
For cNbr = 1 To maxCols
For rNbr = 2 To maxRows
If Not isNothing(ActiveSheet.Cells(rNbr, cNbr)) Then Exit For
Next rNbr
If rNbr = maxRows + 1 Then Columns(cNbr).entireColumn.Hidden = True
Next cNbr
End Sub
Public Function isNothing(ByVal theString As String) As Boolean
'* Check if there is anything in a string (to avoid testing for isnull, isempty, and
'* zero-length strings)
'* isNothing(" This is my string ") returns False

isNothing = theString & "" = ""

End Function

Upvote 0
@glennpc: Whose code are you referring to in your last post? The macro I suggested in Post# 2 should work regardless of which column is the last used column.

Upvote 0
I was referring to Mumps code. I wrote you a reply to your suggested code, but it never got through. I changed the name of the macro, and I also got an error with a reference to "Sheet1", so I fixed that. But your code looks for the last column on the sheet, and the columns that I need to check are columns 49 to 11 (working backwards.). I have columns to the right of that. I thought it was finding them and not deleting anything, but I changed lCol to 49 as the starting point and it still didn't hide the columns I expected (I had all blanks in Columns 49 and 48, so those were expected to be hidden, and they didn't get hidden).

Upvote 0
I think that it would be much easier to follow if I could see how your data is organized. Perhaps you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here.

Upvote 0
I just sent a quick reply-- again did not go through. My first one said that I tried the dropbox and I realized that I can't do it from work. I then described my range of data. The key thing is that the macro should only run against columns 11 through 49. I have columns to the right of that and they should not be tested. The number of rows varies, so using the last row variable is good. But whenever I run the code, it doesn't delete any columns. Does it look at formatting? I have boxes around every cell in the range.

Upvote 0
Please refer to Post# 7.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DEWS2031

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back