Macros are gone when I try to access, but still in Visual Basic

zookeepertx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I have a number of macros that I've been using for years and they've all disappeared today. Sort of. When I click on the icon at the top of the worksheet to call up a macro, my PERSONAL.XLSB is there but the window is empty. I tried choosing This Workbook and stuff but nothing appears anywhere. I've seen this happen before, where my PERSONAL just didn't show up as a choice at all. So, (as I learned online) I'd open a blank workbook, start recording a macro and, when prompted to choose where to record it, the PERSONAL.XLSB would show up and I'd tell it to record there. That would make it show up and all the macros were there just like normal.
This time Excel will not allow me to record a macro at all, at least not to my PERSONAL. It WILL allow me to record one to This Workbook. And, when I go to Developer and Visual Basic, my PERSONAL is there and all my macros show up!
I thought I'd work around it and try to run a macro directly from Visual Basic and Excel had a panic attack! It blinked a couple of times, went to black screen, sat like that for about 10 seconds and then opened new versions of all the workbooks I had open at the time!
This is totally new to me and I have no idea what's going on or how to fix it. HELP! And advice would be greatly appreciated! I had to do all my reports manually today and was almost late turning them in to my supervisor.

Thank you

Jenny

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It is possible that your PERSONAL.XLSB has become corrupt, so you might want to take a few precautions. Check to see that your PERSONAL.XLSB is still in the proper folder. The link below will tell you how to find that folder

Consider making a backup copy and locating it somewhere else. If you can still access your PERSONAL.XLSB via the VB Editor (Alt-F11), consider exporting all your macros to text files ( *.bas, *.cls, *.frm ). That will allow you to build a new PERSONAL.XLSB if the worst should happen.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for the reply!

I did find my PERSONAL.XLSB but the route is slightly different from the one in the link. That one has ASUS after Users (Users\ASUS\AppData… etc.). Mine just leaves out the ASUS. I assume that's okay.

So, should I just delete that and create a new one?

Fortunately, since I've come up with numerous macros for myself and co-workers, it occurred to us that if MY computer crashed we'd probably lose them ALL, so we created a file on the common drive that contains all of the macros for everyone. So I'll be able to fetch them back easily.

I have to wonder (because that's what I do 😉 ) how the thing could work perfectly one day and be corrupted the next. It's probably because technology can do whatever it wants and humans are at its mercy. 😁

Upvote 0
It is possible that your PERSONAL.XLSB has become corrupt, so you might want to take a few precautions. Check to see that your PERSONAL.XLSB is still in the proper folder. The link below will tell you how to find that folder

Consider making a backup copy and locating it somewhere else. If you can still access your PERSONAL.XLSB via the VB Editor (Alt-F11), consider exporting all your macros to text files ( *.bas, *.cls, *.frm ). That will allow you to build a new PERSONAL.XLSB if the worst should happen.

I found the PERSONAL.XLSB but was too chicken to delete it, so I renamed it by just changing it to PERSONAL2.XLSB. Then I recorded a "dummy" macro and selected PERSONAL to record it in and then stopped recording. After that, I was able to import the macros I need into the new PERSONAL and they're working fine so far.

So, is it okay to go ahead and delete the original PERSONAL.XLSB (now called PERSONAL2.XLSB)? I'm always a little terrified to delete things, LOL!

Thanks for your help!

Jenny

Upvote 0
I found the PERSONAL.XLSB but was too chicken to delete it, so I renamed it by just changing it to PERSONAL2.XLSB. Then I recorded a "dummy" macro and selected PERSONAL to record it in and then stopped recording. After that, I was able to import the macros I need into the new PERSONAL and they're working fine so far.

So, is it okay to go ahead and delete the original PERSONAL.XLSB (now called PERSONAL2.XLSB)? I'm always a little terrified to delete things, LOL!

Thanks for your help!

Jenny

Don't delete it. Move it to another folder in case something comes up. If you have not referenced it after a year, then consider deleting it.

Upvote 0
Don't delete it. Move it to another folder in case something comes up. If you have not referenced it after a year, then consider deleting it.
Oooh, very good idea! Thank you and have a great day.

Jenny

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back