Macro's have disappeared but are still in VBA

Mr_Phil

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi, using Office 365. I have a workbook I am building and the macro I wrote isn't showing up in the view macros box. I've tried viewing by name and by "this workbook". The Personal workbook and all it's macros show up just fine. And, if I go to the VBA editor I can see (and run) the macro from there. I guess I don't know the right keywords because so far google hasn't been much help. Anyone else ever encounter this? Any advice on how to troubleshoot?

1662680314436.png
1662680363557.png

I had the same problem but the other solutions didn't work. However, I found that if I saved and closed the file on one computer, copied it to another computer then went view,macro,view macro, the macros had returned on the list. So I saved this file and closed it, then copied this new version to the original computer, and the macros again showed. I'm not sure what caused the problem in the first place.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I had the same problem but the other solutions didn't work. However, I found that if I saved and closed the file on one computer, copied it to another computer then went view,macro,view macro, the macros had returned on the list. So I saved this file and closed it, then copied this new version to the original computer, and the macros again showed. I'm not sure what caused the problem in the first place.
I will keep that in mind. Like a variant of the unplug it, count to 30, plug in different outlet that fixes my satellite receiver. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having this issue right now and it's driving me crazy. I tried logging out and back into Office, but that didn't help. I saw the tip on copying files but I can't do that for every new file. Too much hassle.
Honestly, I'm almost terrified of every new update that arrives on my computer now (from my IT department). One day everything works fine, then suddenly...pooof! everything gone.

Upvote 0
Eh, how do I edit my post?
Anyway, I have the same exact settings as OP. Everything is allowed basically, regarding macros and such. I'm also using Office 365 Enterprise. All macros visible in the Visual Basic Editor but none when clicking Alt-F8.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having this issue right now and it's driving me crazy. I tried logging out and back into Office, but that didn't help. I saw the tip on copying files but I can't do that for every new file. Too much hassle.
Honestly, I'm almost terrified of every new update that arrives on my computer now (from my IT department). One day everything works fine, then suddenly...pooof! everything gone.

Since then I have discovered that if you start excel, then go to file > open, select your file, at the bottom is a "tools" button. Click the down arrow on it and select open and repair. It will open and you'll get a dialog box. But, more often than not the issue is at least temporarily resolved.

Upvote 0
Since then I have discovered that if you start excel, then go to file > open, select your file, at the bottom is a "tools" button. Click the down arrow on it and select open and repair. It will open and you'll get a dialog box. But, more often than not the issue is at least temporarily resolved.
Thanks for the tip, but that didn't work for me unfortunately.
What I'm doing at the moment is copying over the macros I need to every new workbook I open. Bit of a hassle, but at least I can then run them from Alt-F8.

Upvote 0
An windows update was waiting for me when I came to work today. After installing and restarting everything was back to normal.
I think the MS Office + Windows monster has gotten so big now that nobody at Microsoft knows what's going on anymore.

Upvote 0
I had this issue today. There's no obvious reason for it. This link worked a treat for me - basically what *Whitestar127 said about copying and pasting, except just adding a line and removing it forces a recompile.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
al mugheen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back