Macro's have disappeared but are still in VBA

Mr_Phil

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi, using Office 365. I have a workbook I am building and the macro I wrote isn't showing up in the view macros box. I've tried viewing by name and by "this workbook". The Personal workbook and all it's macros show up just fine. And, if I go to the VBA editor I can see (and run) the macro from there. I guess I don't know the right keywords because so far google hasn't been much help. Anyone else ever encounter this? Any advice on how to troubleshoot?

1662680314436.png
1662680363557.png

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
See if this helps...

Upvote 0
That is a weird one.

Have you enabled Macros for this workbook?
What are you Macro Settings showing?

What happens if you save the file, close out of Excel, and re-open the file?
Do you see it then?

Upvote 0
That is a weird one.

Have you enabled Macros for this workbook?
What are you Macro Settings showing?

What happens if you save the file, close out of Excel, and re-open the file?
Do you see it then?

Hi Joe. Yessir the file is .xlsm and I've had the security/alerts/blocks etc turned off for a long time now. I have tried opening/closing/rebooting/power cycling. No change. I tried opening excel in safe mode. No change.

Searching google I saw something about compiling the project but I can't seem to get that option to activate. I found it in VBA under the DEBUG menu but it is grayed out.

I appreciate your looking. If you think of something to try I'd be grateful.

1662780924456.png

Upvote 0
I have seen quite a few posts on this on this Forumn and none seem to have met with any success.
compiling the project but I can't seem to get that option to activate. I found it in VBA under the DEBUG menu but it is grayed out.
This command is generally only available after you change something in the code, once it is compiled successfully it is grayed out.

Does it only happen on your computer ie if you open the same workbook on a different computer does it have the same issue ?
Is it worth trying to save it as an xlsb and then closing and reopening that version ?

Just curious can you see the macros here ?

1662785632970.png

Upvote 0
I have seen quite a few posts on this on this Forumn and none seem to have met with any success.

This command is generally only available after you change something in the code, once it is compiled successfully it is grayed out.

Does it only happen on your computer ie if you open the same workbook on a different computer does it have the same issue ?
Is it worth trying to save it as an xlsb and then closing and reopening that version ?

Just curious can you see the macros here ?
Thanks for looking. I saved as an .xlsb and it let me compile the project. No error messages and still no macros showing up in the alt-f8 box. I tried opening, compiling, and saving the file. Still nothing. I have another computer but it isn't signed into Office 365 so I am not sure about running it on another PC. I left a message for our IT Guys to see if they'd let me run it since I'm doing work projects. When I did the quick access toolbar it shows all the macros in personal.xlsb and backup of personal.xlsb. But, not mine... And yet I can alt-f11 and edit or run them. At the end of the day there's not going to be a catastrophic failure. My users will have no need to view macros as they will all be command buttons on the input data form. It's just frustrating when you know "how to" and it should be there but isn't. Thank you again for your suggestions. I truly do appreciate everyone who helps others like this.

Upvote 0
It is fixed.

I had to log out of MS365 because my IT had set a new account up for my use. When I logged out and then cleared the old licenses per the instructions here, my macros were back in the alt-f8 box once I logged back in. I just wanted to thank y'all for looking and all the good suggestions. Ended up learning a thing or three along the way.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you for providing such great feedback of what you tried and what ended up working. I am sure it will help others who experience this issue. We might have to put "are you using an Enterprise Edition of MS365" on our list of troubleshooting questions. ;)

Upvote 0
See if this helps...

I looked at that page and could not figure out how to open in "protected mode". I was able to get it to open in safe mode but nothing. It finally got fixed but I wanted to thank you for giving me another option to looke at.

Upvote 0
I looked at that page and could not figure out how to open in "protected mode". I was able to get it to open in safe mode but nothing. It finally got fixed but I wanted to thank you for giving me another option to looke at.

I'm glad you were able get it fixed. For future, though, if you ever want to open a file in protected view...

VBA Code:
Ribbon >> File >> Open >> Browse >> select the file >> click on the Open drop-down >> Open in Protected View

protected_view.PNG

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwine77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back