Managing data that regularly updates

MikeH93

I've recently started sports blogging and I'm looking to do some statistical analysis. I've used a web scraper to record various statistics (Shots, passes, possession etc.) in all major league soccer games for the last 5 years. It looks something like this:

Home TeamAway TeamHome PossessionAway Possession
LiverpoolBarcelona55%45%
ArsenalChelsea50%50%
ChelseaLiverpool45%55%
BarcelonaLiverpool60%40%

<tbody>
</tbody>

There's roughly 500 teams in questions and I'd like to build a data base for each team. However I can't use to filter by home team because then I miss that teams away matches. I could filter by home matches and away and copy and paste but that would take a lot of maintenance since there are hundreds of matches every week. As a relatively inexperienced excel user, I am wondering if there is some macro that can read the one large spreadsheet of all matches (Like the one above but way bigger) and deliver just the matches of a certain team on a different sheet like this:

Liverpool
LiverpoolBarcelona55%45%
ChelseaLiverpool45%55%
BarcelonaLiverpool60%40%

<tbody>
</tbody>

Its quite an unusual situation so I haven't been able to find much related material through searches. Any idea what topics I should be looking into to build something like this? Also for anyone with SQL experience, I've been told that the kind of data I have is very suited to SQL instead of having 500 sheets floating around, would you agree?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back