Massive Probability Calcs

R4M3N

I am creating a spreadsheet with a heavy amount of probability calcs in it. I am aiming to do calculations for card drawing (specifically for MtG). I have wrestled out a hard way to do some of the math, and it turns out putting it into a spread sheet is still difficult. So there are two great ways someone could help me. Either I would like to know the elegant statistical way to solve this problem, or the way to make Excel assist me with my more brute force approach.

I want to know the odds of a card being on the top of a deck. There is a variable number of copies, and it could be in your starting hand. I completely understand how the probability will work out, but I am doing a calculation for each possible event, accounting for drawing every card (60 total). Counting out the starting hand (7 cards), that leaves 53 independent formulas where I would have to have every possible situation represented. If anyone knows the clever, statistical way to approach this, I'm all ears.

In making Excel do the leg work, I encountered the following issue:
ABCD
17.55%7.69%7.84%8.00%...
2=A1=(1-A1)*B1=(1-A1)*(1-B1)*C1=(1-A1)*(1-B1)*(1-C1)*D1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Is there a way to make this happen automatically, or somewhat automatically? This shows 4 draw, and I'll have 53. Then I have to do this 3 more times, then 3 times all over, then 2 etc. I wanted to use a range where one end was a relative ref and the other was fixed, but I didn't know how to get the extra multiplication terms to appear.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Edit: I would prefer to use only Excel, but I was versed in VBA once upon a time. I've yet to dust off those skills recently, but if that's the only way, then I suppose it's time...

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I am creating a spreadsheet with a heavy amount of probability calcs in it. I am aiming to do calculations for card drawing (specifically for MtG). I have wrestled out a hard way to do some of the math, and it turns out putting it into a spread sheet is still difficult. So there are two great ways someone could help me. Either I would like to know the elegant statistical way to solve this problem, or the way to make Excel assist me with my more brute force approach.

I want to know the odds of a card being on the top of a deck. There is a variable number of copies, and it could be in your starting hand. I completely understand how the probability will work out, but I am doing a calculation for each possible event, accounting for drawing every card (60 total). Counting out the starting hand (7 cards), that leaves 53 independent formulas where I would have to have every possible situation represented. If anyone knows the clever, statistical way to approach this, I'm all ears.

In making Excel do the leg work, I encountered the following issue:
A
B
C
D
7.55%
7.69%
7.84%
8.00%
=A1
=(1-A1)*B1
=(1-A1)*(1-B1)*C1
=(1-A1)*(1-B1)*(1-C1)*D1

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Is there a way to make this happen automatically, or somewhat automatically? This shows 4 draw, and I'll have 53. Then I have to do this 3 more times, then 3 times all over, then 2 etc. I wanted to use a range where one end was a relative ref and the other was fixed, but I didn't know how to get the extra multiplication terms to appear.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Edit: I would prefer to use only Excel, but I was versed in VBA once upon a time. I've yet to dust off those skills recently, but if that's the only way, then I suppose it's time...

First of all - why 60? Where did that come from? Second of all, what game are you playing - poker, blackjack etc?

Gene

Upvote 0
So it is not a standard deck. You might want to let everyone know the configuration of this MtG Deck. What are the "suits", the numbers, faces, whatever.

Gene

Upvote 0
From your example, it appears there are four copies of each rank. The probability of a given rank appearing at the top of the deck at any point depends on both the number of cards remaining and the number of cards of that rank remaining. So it seems to me it should be like this:

Code:
       ----A---- --B-- --C-- --D-- --E--
   1   Deck         60                  
   3   Position    4     3     2     1  
   4           1 6.67% 5.00% 3.33% 1.67%
   5           2 6.78% 5.08% 3.39% 1.69%
   6           3 6.90% 5.17% 3.45% 1.72%
   7           4 7.02% 5.26% 3.51% 1.75%
   8           5 7.14% 5.36% 3.57% 1.79%
   9           6 7.27% 5.45% 3.64% 1.82%
  10           7 7.41% 5.56% 3.70% 1.85%
  11           8 7.55% 5.66% 3.77% 1.89%
  12           9 7.69% 5.77% 3.85% 1.92%
  13          10 7.84% 5.88% 3.92% 1.96%

The formula in B5 and copied across and down is

=($B$2 - B$4) / ($B$1 - $A5 + 1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back