Master and Slave updating each other

JohnTitor

Hello!
I'm rather ignorant on the ways of advanced coding and complicated excel macros, so I've been looking around many forum posts and still have not been able to find a working answer to my problem.

To describe what I would like to achieve, I'll first tell you with what i'm working with. I have a made a workbook that has all the contact data from my clients. I want to give a slave workbook to my 4 sellers that only includes their clients (so they can't see each other's stuff) and I want them to use their slaves to keep their client's data updated and to add rows with new data when they get a new client.

These slaves should update the master workbook, and if a new client is added I would like the master workbook to add the new rows and keep them in order of account number.

Furthermore, if I change something in the master workbook, I would like the slave that contained the data I changed, to update itself with the new one.

I know its probably super complicated and that is why i've been trying to figure out a way for the past 6 days reading countless forum posts about similar problems. Yet I have not found a way to work with it.

Just as a final note, to make it easier I will put the master and the slaves on the same folder and then create direct links to the slaves and give those to my sales people so they can use it.

I have found the following answers that are similar yet not quite right as they either update one way or they just don't work in the end.

Option 1 Option 2 Best One But still not the same

I hope that made some sense lol, If you managed to read all that, I thank you already even if you are not able to help!!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi John,

my first thought is: use MS Access, that's a database, made for these kind of things. But if you fancy Excel, you'll need a structure like:

Master file:
-Macro "Pull in info from 1/all slaves":
--Open the slave file you want to load
--Filter your master list, and copy all data to an import sheet in your master
--Copy paste the slave data into that same import sheet.
--Filter out all the doubles & delete them, sort on account number (you could bump into an issue when an account is added in both sheets at the same time with different info in the rest of the columns...)
--Delete the list in the slave workbook and replace it with the now unique import sheet info
--Filter the list in the master, delete the information of the file you're importing, copy-paste the import sheet info at the bottom of your list and sort on account number
--Close the slave
--Loop for all slaves if needed

And your slave files would need a similar macro. I wouldn't run it after every row update, but rather when they open or close the file (or push a button). Data integrety is something rather hard to achieve with this kind of Excel workbooks...

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebc9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back