Match entries in corresponding cells in B,C & D to Column A and Arrange in Columns E,F,G based on best match

frank933

Guys, it's great to be visiting this board after years as I am faced with the following challenge.

Note: Please ignore the phone numbers/digits in the cells when matching. We are only focusing on the names, but we are moving the exact entry (along with the phone numbers) to the appropriate column. In the entire exercise as we are arranging cells, original order is preferred in case of multiple exact matches etc. Phone numbers have been hidden and/or jumbled for privacy.

Here's the task.

I have data in four columns as is shown in the image I've attached.

I am looking for a match (exact or partial) on a row by row only basis.

I am looking to arrange the entries in columns B,C, and D by matching the corresponding entries in each column to entry in column A.

I would like to arrange the entry that best matches column A from the corresponding entries in columns B,C and D in column E, 2nd best matched entry in F, and third best entry in Column G.

If any corresponding cell in columns B,C, and D has no match (we are ignoring the numbers/digits completely) with cell A then we are still arranging the remaining corresponding entries in order while puting No Match in the cell that doesn't match at all.

I would either like a formula that I could paste in cells E, F, and G, or a macro that would resolve this issue.

Note: We are moving both the name and phone although we are not interested in matching the phone with column A obviously. (Column A has no digits to match, only names)

If there are exact matches of names found in multiple columns, then the original order is to be kept.

Looking for a speedy resolution from some of the pros on this board.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image-del.jpg
    image-del.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back