MATCH function - match_type question

MJBVLC

Hi,

MATCH(lookup_value,lookup_array,match_type)

I am using the MATCH function to specify in which row of a large table I want to be looking up values.

The column I am MATCH-ing contains numbers in ascending order. For smaller values, the increment is 0.1 , then 0.5, finally the numbers are all consecutive integers.

If my input value is exactly matched in the table, I want the match to be that value. If there is no exact match, I want to go to the next greatest. In the words of Microsoft Help, I want to "find the smallest value that is greater than or equal to lookup_value". However, this is consistent with match_type -1 which only works for data in descending order.

I have got this to work with an IF statement that first checks if my input value is in the lookup column and then adds 1 to the MATCH value if not:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(input,lookup,1,FALSE)),MATCH(input,lookup)+1,MATCH(input,lookup))

But this is very inelegant and will make my final formulae where is value is to be used very long.

I'm surprised not to find a million of these questions posted on the board - perhaps there's a neat solution that everyone except me knows about?

Thanks,
Melanie

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
It is a 780 row column running from 1 to 690. Up to value 10 it increases in 0.1 increments, then up to value 20 it increases in 0.5 increments. So a samples from the range are:
:
:
:
:
:

I need the following input - row combinations:

9.25 -> 9.3
10.25 -> 10.5
20.25 -> 21

Thanks,
Melanie

Upvote 0
The actual range in which this data is stored is M6:M768. I'm just using the LOOKUP function to see if there is an exact match for my input. If not, I add 1 to the value of the MATCH function if I need to move into the next row down.

I want to avoid using LOOKUP instead of MATCH because I have data to the left of the M column which I need to return using MATCH / INDEX functions.

Thanks,
M

Upvote 0
The actual range in which this data is stored is M6:M768. I'm just using the LOOKUP function to see if there is an exact match for my input. If not, I add 1 to the value of the MATCH function if I need to move into the next row down.

I want to avoid using LOOKUP instead of MATCH because I have data to the left of the M column which I need to return using MATCH / INDEX functions.

Thanks,
M

Lets say that you want results from K6:K768.

Try...

=INDEX($K$6:$K$768,MATCH(Q6,$M$6:$M$768,1)+(LOOKUP(Q6,$M$6:$M$768) < Q6))

where Q6 houses a lookup value of interest.

Adjust the ranges to suit...

Upvote 0
Wonderful!

It's still not as elegant as I had hoped - but the concept of adding the value of TRUE / FALSE is a new one on me and something that will be very useful to me in other areas.

I feel like a new door has opened.......

Thank you very much.....now got about a million formulae to edit!

Melanie

Upvote 0
Wonderful!

It's still not as elegant as I had hoped - but the concept of adding the value of TRUE / FALSE is a new one on me and something that will be very useful to me in other areas.

I feel like a new door has opened.......

Thank you very much.....now got about a million formulae to edit!

Melanie

Melanie,

It's fast for sure (and elegant to me)...

Upvote 0
You're right. It is elegant and I have already raved about it to a colleague.

Maybe I should have said "It's still not as short as I had hoped". It is used several times within each formula so they're becoming a bit hard to decipher. My gripe is with Excel for only rounding in one direction.:mad:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back