Matching Columns and Highlighting and sorting differences

allgonzo

I have five columns. The first column contains employee names that have helped the office for the last year. The other four columns contain data (numbers). This includes former employees and temporary employees. I need to compare the first column to a column that lists my current census (could be on the same sheet or in another sheet). Once the names are compared, I need to highlight the rows of the individuals who are not on the current census and move them to the bottom of the list. Currently I do this in about 5 different steps and a lot of time. Any help is appreciated.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK

mikerickson

MrExcel MVP
If your data is in columns A through E and your current list is in a named range, add a sixth column with the formula

=COUNTIF(current_list,A1)

Sorting (descending) on this column will move the inactive names to the bottom of your list.

allgonzo

Thanks for the reply. I currently use a countif formula. I was wondering if there was a macro that could do everything at once?

mikerickson

MrExcel MVP
You could record a macro, and the last thing you do before pressing Stop Recording is to delete the helper column.

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidneybc

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...