Matching data based on certain words in a cell

MikeH93

0down votefavorite
I am compiling a data base on Tennis players for a college project. I have two spreadsheets with lots of relevant information, one with performance related statistics for every ATP match played over the last five years and another spreadsheet with their ranking at that moment in time, handedness and the surface from that match over the same period.

I am trying to merge both spreadsheets. My problem is that although almost all the same matches are included, I am unable to match the data one-for-one. The problem being that in one spreadsheet, the names are First Name Last Name (i.e Roger Federer)and in the other, the spreadsheet has the name as Last Name, first Initial (i.e Federer R.). Also since there are many matches on the same day in the same tournaments, I can't match them up by date or tournament.

I've tried assigning numbers to players to match but came unstuck. I have also tried reconstructing the names in the first spreadsheet so that Roger Federer becomes Federer R. using =MID(E3,FIND(" ",E3)+1,255)&" "&LEFT(A1,1)&"." From there I thought I could simply use a VLOOKUP to match the data based on name and date. However some players Have Double barreled first names or last names. So for my purposes, Joe-Wilfred Tsonga would need to become Tsonga J.W. or even more complicated Jabor Mohammed Ali Mutawa becomes Ali Mutawa J.M.

So basically, I think it would be too hard to reconstruct the names to match but I am wondering if there is any way to match the two sheets based on the last word of one cell and the first word of another (e.g for Joe-Wilfred Tsonga, Tsonga would always be in both cells). The date can also be used since the date of the matches in both spreadsheet is obviously the same.
I know this sounds quite sticky but I would greatly appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Cross-posted here: http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/162448/matching-data-in-excel-based-on-certain-words#

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back