Max number if not equal to the cell references in two other cells

tamsh

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I would like to return the max number from a list, if that number has already not been selected in two other cells. Thus far I have used max to find the highest number in one array, putting result into a cell. Then a second max to find the highest number in a second array, putting result into a cell. Then used CELL to display the cell reference of each maximum number in two other cells.

What I now need is to find the highest number in the entire array (both arrays) that has not already been identified in the other two max formulas.

Hope that makes sense...

Can this be done?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
What version of Excel are you using>
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also can you post some sample data along with expected results?
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Office365, windows.

Cell AR6.

MAX.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAEAFAGAHAIAJAKALAMANAOAPAQARASATAUAVAWAXAYAZBA
13: NEA - Practical performance in physical activity and sport
2Team SportsIndividual SportsPractical SummaryAnalysis & Evaluation3: Scaled Average NEA Marks / 1003: Scaled Average NEA Percentage3: Scaled NEA Marks / 1043: Scaled NEA Marks Percentage3: Current Unit Grade
3Association footballBasketballCricketHandballNetballRugby UnionAthleticsBadmintonRock-climbingBadmintonBoxingTable TennisTrampoliningBest Team Sport / 25Best individual Sport / 25Next Best Sport / 25Best Sports Sub-total / 75Analysis / 15Evaluation / 10Analysis & Evaluation Total / 25
4Skills / 10Full Context / 15Association football sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Basketball sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Cricket sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Handball sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Netball sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Rugby Union sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Athletics sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Badminton sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Rock-climbing sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Badminton sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Boxing sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Table Tennis sub-total / 25Skills / 10Full Context / 15Trampolining sub-total / 25Best Team Sport Cell RefBest individual Sport Cell Ref
600000000000000$C$60$AA$6#VALUE!#VALUE!0#REF!#REF!#REF!#REF!#REF!
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I4,AM4,AJ4,AG4,AD4,AA4,X4,U4,R4,O4,L4I4=G3&" sub-total / 25"
C6,AV6,AM6,AJ6,AG6,AD6,AA6,X6,U6,R6,O6,L6,I6,F6C6=A6+B6
AN6AN6=MAX(A6:X6)
AO6AO6=CELL("address",INDEX(A6:X6,MATCH(MAX(A6:X6),A6:X6,0)))
AP6AP6=MAX(Y6:AM6)
AQ6AQ6=CELL("address",INDEX(Y6:AM6,MATCH(MAX(Y6:AM6),Y6:AM6,0)))
AR6AR6=MAX(IFS(A6:AM6<>CELL("address",INDEX(A6:X6,MATCH(MAX(A6:X6),A6:X6,0))),A6:AM6,A6:AM6<>CELL("address",INDEX(Y6:AM6,MATCH(MAX(Y6:AM6),Y6:AM6,0))),A6:X6))
AS6AS6=SUM(AN6:AR6)
AW6AW6=#REF!+AV6
AX6AX6=AW6/100
AY6AY6=VLOOKUP(AW6,[GCSE_PE_Tracker.xlsx]Grade_Boundaries!$J$16:$K$115,2)
AZ6AZ6=AY6/104
BA6BA6=VLOOKUP(AY6,[GCSE_PE_Tracker.xlsx]Grade_Boundaries!$M$3:$N$13,2)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that.
How about
Excel Formula:
=MAX(HSTACK(DROP(SORT(A6:X6,,-1,1),,1),DROP(SORT(Y6:AM6,,-1,1),,1)))

Upvote 0
Sorry being dim, can you explain? I am getting function isnt valid

Upvote 0
Do you have the HSTACK or SORT functions?

Upvote 0
If you don't have either of them, then either you are not using 365 or your version is about 3 years out of date & needs updating.

Upvote 0
If you don't have either of them, then either you are not using 365 or your version is about 3 years out of date & needs updating.
It is office365 but a work acocunt which I am unable to update. Never mind and thank you for your time.

Upvote 0
In that case I would suggest changing your profile to show 2019 as that is what you are effectively using.
Give me a moment to come up with another solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
remmuS24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back