medianif -- unsure of how to specify multiple criteria within this formula

Jennifre

Board Regular
Hi, I'm using this formula to get a medianif. So I'm successfully using it for finding one criteria match (a match between one column of data and one row). I need to expand it to be able to match several options within its column HE matching.

Is it possible to do without majorly re-doing the formula? I love it when I get things working... I'm hoping it can simply be expanded to also match HE5, HE7, for example.

Thanks so much.... I really appreciate your help. :)

{=MEDIAN(IF(($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE3),DT$2:DT$1364))}

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
{=median(if( (cond1)*(cond2)*(cond3), range))}

Upvote 0
Hey, thank you shg! I tried this though (below), and it gave me a #NUM! error.... I'm not sure what that means, nor how to correct it?

Thank you :) :) :)

=MEDIAN(IF(($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE5)*($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE6)*($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE7)*($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE8),DT$2:DT$1364))

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm using this formula to get a medianif. So I'm successfully using it for finding one criteria match (a match between one column of data and one row). I need to expand it to be able to match several options within its column HE matching.

Is it possible to do without majorly re-doing the formula? I love it when I get things working... I'm hoping it can simply be expanded to also match HE5, HE7, for example.

Thanks so much.... I really appreciate your help. :)

Do not put the formulas between QUOTE's, use CODE tags instead...

You can remove extra parens from...
Rich (BB code):
=MEDIAN(IF(($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE3),DT$2:DT$1364))

so that it becomes:
Rich (BB code):
=MEDIAN(IF($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE3,DT$2:DT$1364))

Expanding this 'to also match HE5, HE7'...

Two approches:
Control+shift+enter, not just enter...
1]
Rich (BB code):
=MEDIAN(
   IF(($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE3)+($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE5)+($DG$2:$DG$1364=$HE7),
     DT$2:DT$1364))

2]
Rich (BB code):
=MEDIAN(
  IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($DG$2:$DG$1364,CHOOSE({1,2,3},$HE3,$HE5,$HE7),0)),
    DT$2:DT$1364))

If the criteria range (the range which houses criterion values) is contiguous like in HE5:HE8...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:
Rich (BB code):
=MEDIAN(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($DG$2:$DG$1364,$HE5:$HE8,0)),DT$2:DT$1364))
will suffice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh my, great + SO helpful, Aladin -- thank you!! :)
I have a bunch of additional questions, unfortunately.

A)
I understand your suggestions 1 + unnumbered 3. But... I'm not sure what this part of #2 means -- what does the CHOOSE and the 1,2,3 apply to?

CHOOSE({1,2,3}</pre>
B)
Also, THANK YOU so much for your suggestions about how to properly show code here, I appreciate that.

Ca)
After I get this, I will need to weight the rows I'm median-ing by how many survey responses there are in each row. I guess that will need to happen in another cell altogether.

Cb)
Or is there a way to make these rows weighted by how many responses they each contain so all of their end-median values will be weighted from the get go so I only need to total them, and the total will already be weighted?

Upvote 0
And too, thank you so much for the #1 answer which worked perfectly for me, and I even understand it. Thank you!!

Upvote 0
Also, when I posted that, the mouseover for the code tags wasn't appearing at mouseover, so I didn't see it though [oddly?] pasting in the code bit appeared in a box on my screen... until I hit "post". But thank you again for that tip. ;)e

Upvote 0
Cc) I'll also need to weight averages. Not sure if that matters, but I have a similar thing set up in other columns averaging these responses, which I will need to weight similarly, per the #s of responses per row (the rows are collecting responses based on other criteria). I know... confusing.

Thank you for any help that comes in once I've confused everything as I have.

Upvote 0
Oh my, great + SO helpful, Aladin -- thank you!! :)

You are welcome.

I have a bunch of additional questions, unfortunately.

A)
I understand your suggestions 1 + unnumbered 3. But... I'm not sure what this part of #2 means -- what does the CHOOSE and the 1,2,3 apply to?

CHOOSE({1,2,3}

{1,2,3} means that CHOOSE must evaluate all of the three terms it's fed with.
Here I'm calling upon a technique I introduced (some time ago) to union cells/arrays. With single cell arguments, CHOOSE is indeed capable of creating a "range"...

HE3,HE5,HE7 are collected in such a way that they become an array that can be fed to MATCH which expects a contiguous cell range or an array (vector). Recall that

MATCH(X2,(A2,A7,H5),0)

won't work for A2,A7,H5 together is not a contiguous cell range.

CHOOSE({1,2,3},A2,A7,H5)

makes an array MATCH would understand.
</PRE>
[...]

Ca)
After I get this, I will need to weight the rows I'm median-ing by how many survey responses there are in each row. I guess that will need to happen in another cell altogether.

Cb)
Or is there a way to make these rows weighted by how many responses they each contain so all of their end-median values will be weighted from the get go so I only need to total them, and the total will already be weighted?

Cc) I'll also need to weight averages. Not sure if that matters, but I have a similar thing set up in other columns averaging these responses, which I will need to weight similarly, per the #s of responses per row (the rows are collecting responses based on other criteria). I know... confusing.

Thank you for any help that comes in once I've confused everything as I have.

I think we need a small example here in order to understand the nature of the calculation you need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back