Merging Duplicate Rows and Keeping Original Data

vinnie179

I know this question has been asked and addressed in different ways, but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. To start off, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CODING. I'm hoping someone would be so kind as to help shave off hours at my work by showing me specific code that I can copy and paste into a macro.

The situation: I need to merge rows with duplicate values in column A (Patient Name being the most important one), with columns B, C, & D usually having different isolated values as well. Columns E, F, G, H, & I are date columns, but the data is always going to be the number 1, meaning a patient was seen once that day (if they were seen two times that day for different reasons, information would be in an unmerged second row [same patient name listed in two separate rows], where columns B & C would be different). Column J is an autosum of columns E through I if that makes a difference. Column K is a notes column. The data that needs to be merged is always added to the bottom of the spreadsheet in order to show that a patient was seen on any given day, with columns B through K almost always being blank. Example:

Column A---------Column B---Col C----Col D--Col E--Col F--Col G--Col H--Col I--Col J---------Col K
Patient Name-----Therapist---Shared--%P----2/3----2/4----2/5-----2/6----2/7---Total Visits--Notes

Alice Alpha--------AB----------PT-------1---------------------------------------------0-------------blah
Boris Beta---------BC----------SELF----2----------------------------------------------0------------blahblah
Carl Carlisle-------CD---------PTA------3----------------------------------------------0
Carl Carlisle-------AB---------SELF-----2----------------------------------------------0
Donny Delta-------DE---------PT--------1---------------------------------------------0
Ernie Elephant-----EF---------PTA-------2---------------------------------------------0
Alice Alpha-----------------------------------------------1
Carl Carlisle--------------------------------------1--------------1---------------1
Ernie Elephant-------------------------------------------1---------------1

This is what I'm hoping it can look like:

Column A---------Column B---Col C----Col D--Col E--Col F--Col G--Col H--Col I--Col J---------Col K
Patient Name-----Therapist---Shared--%P----2/3----2/4----2/5-----2/6----2/7---Total Visits--Notes

Alice Alpha--------AB----------PT-------1---------------1-----------------------------1-------------blah
Boris Beta---------BC----------SELF----2----------------------------------------------0------------blahblah
Carl Carlisle-------CD---------PTA------3-------1--------------1---------------1------3
Carl Carlisle-------AB---------SELF-----2----------------------------------------------0
Donny Delta-------DE---------PT--------1---------------------------------------------0
Ernie Elephant-----EF---------PTA-------2--------------1---------------1-------------2

In this example Carl Carlisle is being seen for two different things, however how would it be written so the macro would know which Carl Carlisle row to merge with? I'm thinking that before running the macro I could manually enter the information into column B so it knows which Carl Carlisle row above to merge with.

Data always starts at row 14 (row 13 is frozen pane header column), and extends to a row that is different every week depending on how many people happen to be in the list.

I found something from this link that looks very similar to what I need, but with no knowledge of coding, I have no idea how it should be tweaked: Merge Duplicate Rows Keeping Data In Same Columns

I know I'm asking a lot, but the amount of time this takes to manually go through hundreds of rows of patient names every week is incredibly time consuming, and I have too many other things to stay on top of at work for this to drag me down day in and day out.

Any help that anyone can give I would appreciate so much. If you need additional information on the spreadsheet, let me know.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back