Microsoft Access Update? Excel Import Wizard no longer rename invalid character to # or blank to NoName

AegisAg

Hi Guys,

First of all I am new here,

Here's the problem:

Why access no longer rename a blank column or has invalid character such as '.' into NoName or '#'. Is it because update? how to change the preference back to the old one? or maybe I can edit the registry to change it back?

I really confuse can't find any related matter around the internet.

Thank you!

*i have access 2016 Version 1707

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
if you did an update , yes, this may have done it. Access gets 2 versions of applets and gets confused.
Usually, a repair/install fixes it,
or
and entire uninstall then reInstall has to be done BUT if you only have the old version and the update, youd be right back where you are.
so you may have to make workarounds.

Upvote 0
I'm not aware of this feature ever being in access. You should give me details of the process and what you are doing so we can test it out (personally, I would simply not import data with blank columns or invalid column names - clean it up first, then import, so you have good and useful columns with proper names in your database).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, So the story behind this, I usually import data from BW which has standard column which always contains first blank column and '.'. So instead I have to fix the column before upload it to access I prefer access choose the right name for me and so far causes no problem.

I notice this problem when I started to develop a new tools with access.

Update:

So recently I did some research, I build a random upload button and it works as I desired. So I came up with conclusion if you want the access to change the blank/contains invalid character into "NoName" or "#" use docmd.transferspreadhseet instead wizard.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gillmit

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back