modify drop-down menu

skunkworks

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'd like to add another item to the drop-down menu shown and, if possible, alphabetize the list.

Attachments

• pickups.PNG
    pickups.PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
If this is not a macro generated list, select all the cells with the drop down box (shift-select to get them all), Click on the "Data" tab, and then select "Data Validation" (see pics below). There will be a pop-up and on the "Settings" tab you should see "Allow" and "List". If this is the case, then the "Source" should show you where the list is being generated. If you see a list of values with commas in between, then you can either manually change the order or copy the list, paste in some blank cells, sort alphabetically, and then paste back into the "Source".

If the "Source" shows a range of cells, (something like "=Sheet1!$C$6:$C$15") then this is where the list resides. Go to that location and change it as needed. If you add values, you may have to increase the cell references (i.e. if you add 2 new options, then you would increase the final number by 2 to be something like "=Sheet1!$C$6:$C$17").

However, if this is not a data validation generated list and it is macro generated, you would have to go into the code and see how the list is generated.

Let me know if any of this helps.

1708089227025.png

1708089548761.png

Upvote 0
Solution
I was unable to select all, but I did find the list under Data Validation, thanks to you. One item was added and all items were alphabetized. Yay! However, "Misread" still is the default item which displays. Ideally, I'd like the default to be blank or, if that's not possible, "artifact."

Upvote 0
You should just be able to select those cells and hit Delete to remove whatever is showing. Then save it as blanks.

Can you use XL2BB on the sheet or at least one of those cells? It might make it easier to see what is happening.

temp macro work2.xlsm
B
9other
Sheet4
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B9ListTest,other,stuff

Upvote 0
00-pickups template - Copy.xlsx
C
12Misread
pickups
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
C12:C300Celldoes not contain a blank value textNO
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C12:C300Listartifact,awkward,background noise,issue with punch,misread,pronunciation,quality,spacing

VBA Code:
[RANGE=rs:1|cs:1|w:00-pickups template - Copy.xlsx|cls:xl2bb-210|s:pickups|tw:196][XR][XH][/XH][XH=w:196]C[/XH][/XR][XR][XH]12[/XH][XD=h:l|bc:B7E1CD|ch:15.75|fz:12pt]Misread[/XD][/XR][/RANGE][RANGE=cls:xl2bb-extra-210|t:fc][XR][XD]C12:C300[/XD][XD]Cell[/XD][XD]does not contain a blank value [/XD][XD=bc:B7E1CD]text[/XD][XD]NO[/XD][/XR][/RANGE][RANGE=cls:xl2bb-extra-210|t:dv][XR][XD]C12:C300[/XD][XD]List[/XD][XD]artifact,awkward,background noise,issue with punch,misread,pronunciation,quality,spacing[/XD][/XR][/RANGE]

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why it would be defaulting to Misread, but I am obviously missing something. It looks like it is just a value in the cell and could be deleted. Perhaps someone else will see this thread and have an idea. At least you were able to update the list to what you needed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back