Move view to column with todays date a row

Gavlaar

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, looking for some help if possible.

On row2 of a sheet I have dates in range F2: AGP2, I'm trying to write some code that will move the current view to show the column with todays date in it and have it showing to the hand side of the screen (plus to show 4 cells left as well as that will mean the previous day is also visible) but without moving the current view vertically, just moving the view horizontally.

Attachments

• IMG_6762.jpg
    IMG_6762.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 8
Don't forget to look at post 7 as this worked with the formulas that you explained that you had.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Thank you so much for you efforts so far!

I've tried changing
Set fRng = rng.Find(Date, , , xlWhole)
to
Set fRng = rng.Find(Date, , xlValues, xlWhole)
= no joy

The first cell in the range (F2) is 27/03/2024, the next cell to the right is J2 (because for each say 4 cells are merged) and the formula in J2 is "=F2+1"
this formula is then filled across the whole range "F2:AGP2". The merged cell format is

interestingly I entered today date 08/05/2024 and the first code (without xlValues) worked, however I've tried again since, in exactly the same way and just get "not found". When it was sort of working it seemed to highlight all the columns from yet more merged cells that are above the date formulas (with the month showing in the picture above)

Upvote 0
i thought this pic might help

Attachments

• IMG_6763.jpg
    IMG_6763.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
I am probably in the minority but I am quite partial to using Match for this sort of thing and since you said you had that working give this a try.

VBA Code:
Sub MoveToToday()

Dim c As Range
    Dim r As Range

Set r = ActiveSheet.Range("F2: AGP2")

On Error Resume Next
    With Application
        Set c = .Index(r, 0, .Match(CLng(Date), r, 0))
    End With
    On Error GoTo 0

If Not c Is Nothing Then
        ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = c.Offset(, -4).Column
    Else
        MsgBox "Not Found"
    End If

End Sub
works like a charm Alex, Thank you!

I dont suppose this could be entered as a hyperlink on the sheet is there? Having Macro's/code seems to be causing a headache with some users security

Upvote 0
Glad to hear that worked. I am afraid I can't help you with the Hyperlink I suspect it would still involve the use of a macro.
Perhaps @Georgiboy or @Joe4 will have a suggestion.

@Georgiboy
I have historically found using "Find" with dates involving formulas to be quite fragile.
When you use a formula such as previous date + 1, you have to switch to using xlValues and once you do that it becomes very sensitive to the Date Format that is used.
If you use your default system date as the format it will work but when you deviate from that it more often than not doesn't work.
In this case I believe row 2 is formatted as "d" which causes the combination of using xlValues and looking for a date to fail.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear that worked. I am afraid I can't help you with the Hyperlink I suspect it would still involve the use of a macro.
Perhaps @Georgiboy or @Joe4 will have a suggestion.

@Georgiboy
I have historically found using "Find" with dates involving formulas to be quite fragile.
When you use a formula such as previous date + 1, you have to switch to using xlValues and once you do that it becomes very sensitive to the Date Format that is used.
If you use your default system date as the format it will work but when you deviate from that it more often than not doesn't work.
In this case I believe row 2 is formatted as "d" which causes the combination of using xlValues and looking for a date to fail.
Thank you for the insight! :)

Upvote 0
Thank you for the insight! :)
Being new to mrexcel.com should I really close this thread and mark as complete (or whatever i can do) and then repost that question since it is different really?

Upvote 0
I don't think you will get it to select exactly where you want with a hyperlink but the below will take you to todays date:
Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX(F2:AGP2,MATCH(TODAY(),F2:AGP2,0))),"Today")

Upvote 0
I don't think you will get it to select exactly where you want with a hyperlink but the below will take you to todays date:
Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX(F2:AGP2,MATCH(TODAY(),F2:AGP2,0))),"Today")
You are spot on, not quite what I needed. Thanks for trying!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back