Moving rows between tabs

propolis

Hi,

In my attached spreadsheet the column status has a validation option of Open, On Hold and Closed

When I select Open, it stays on that sheet. When I click On Hold, it moves the complete row to the On Hold tab. The same goes if I select Closed.

Now when the row has been move to On Hold, and it came fro Risk Tab, I the click Open it should move the record back to the risk Tab.
The same applies if there is a row that came from Issues tab, and is in th On Hold tab, if I click Open it should move it back to the Issues tabs

Hope this makes sense

Eddie

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.00.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.00.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.11.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.11.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.26.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.26.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.35.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.35.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.46.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.46.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.59.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 22.27.59.png
    102 KB · Views: 18

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
You said:
When I select Open, it stays on that sheet. When I click On Hold, it moves the complete row to the On Hold tab. The same goes if I select Closed.

Where on the sheet will you be click on Open or On Hold and closed
You image does not show any of these places on the sheet.

And where on the sheet will it me moved to. would it be first empty row basing that on first row with no value in column A.

And you said:
When I select Open, it stays on that sheet.
But then said:
I the click Open it should move the record back to the risk Tab.

And there is no script that I know of that will be activated if you click on a

So see we need a lot of specific details. Where will we double click to activate a script. Don't say on the word Open without telling us where will find Open is it in a cell in Column A or B Or Z
Now there is a script when you double click on a value.

How would we know what sheet the row originally came from

Upvote 0
I have 6 tabs on by spreadsheet

The first row of the first 4 tabs in Column A are:

Risk Tab: R001
Action Tab: A001
Issue Tab: I001
Dependancy: D001

Column C in all the tabs use validation: Open, Closed and On Hold

So when I am in the Risk tab and I select Closed from within column C, the whole row needs to move to the Closed Tab
The same applies if I select On Hold from the actions tab, the whole row moves to On Hold tab

Now when I go to the Closed Tab, and there is a row in there where in column A it will say R001 and column C shows closed. I now change the value in column C and select Open, and because column A is R001, is sees the R and knows it needs to move the row back to the risk tab

Now when I go to the On Hold Tab, and there is a row in there where in column A it will say A001 and column C shows On hold. I now change the value in column C and select Open, and because column A is A001, is sees the A and knows it needs to move the row back to the Actions tab

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
You say:
When I click On Hold, it moves the complete row to the On Hold tab. The same goes if I select Closed.

Does that mean copy the row to other sheet and delete the row from the copy from sheet.

And if we copy the row to the other sheet where do we copy it to?
Do we copy it to first empty row on sheet?

Upvote 0
Hi,

When I click On Hold, it moves the complete row to the On Hold tab. The same goes if I select Closed.

Does that mean copy the row to other sheet and delete the row from the copy from sheet.

When you click On Hold the row moves to the On Hold tab - The first row on all the tabs is a header row
When you click Closed the row moves to the Closed tab
You dont Copy the row, you Move the row

Then when you go to the Closed tab, and any record in that tab, if you clicked in Column C and select Open, then it should look at the first column and the first character, if its an R, it goes back to Risk tab, if its an A, it goes back to the Action tab and so on

Upvote 0
Hi,

When you click On Hold the row moves to the On Hold tab - The first row on all the tabs is a header row

Then when you go to the Closed tab, and any record in that tab, if you clicked in Column C and select Open, then it should look at the first column and the first character, if its an R, it goes back to Risk tab, if its an A, it goes back to the Action tab and so on
You said:

Excel has no function called Move.
You can delete a row or copy a row to a different location

This is beyond my knowledgebase.
I will continue to monitor this thread to see what I can learn.

Upvote 0
This script would require a lot of specific details.
I mentioned some in earlier post which you did not answer like you said:

We need to know where on the sheet to move it two.
A worksheet has about 1.5 million rows which row do we copy it to?
And when we copy these rows back and forth do we delete them from the sheet where they were? See these are the sort of things we need to know.
And I mentioned once before a script cannot be activated by clicking on a cell
If you enter a sheet name in a cell or double click on a sheet name in a cell a script can run

So if you had "Alpha" in Range("G6") and doubled clicked on "Alpha" this row could be copied to sheet named "Alpha" first empty row. And row would be deleted from row you double clicked on. So see are the details I need. Like if you have "Alpha" in a particular column we need to know what column The sheet name to copy these rows to must always be in the same column like column B Or G

Upvote 0
This script would require a lot of specific details.
I mentioned some in earlier post which you did not answer like you said:

We need to know where on the sheet to move it two. Under the last row on the other sheet
A worksheet has about 1.5 million rows which row do we copy it to? Under the last row on the other sheet
And when we copy these rows back and forth do we delete them from the sheet where they were? Yes See these are the sort of things we need to know.
And I mentioned once before a script cannot be activated by clicking on a cell Surely the validation in the cell allows you to make the selection of where the data has to go to. The validation has only 3 options to selct from, Open, Closed and On Hold
If you enter a sheet name in a cell or double click on a sheet name in a cell a script can run

So if you had "Alpha" in Range("G6") and doubled clicked on "Alpha" this row could be copied to sheet named "Alpha" first empty row. And row would be deleted from row you double clicked on. So see are the details I need. Like if you have "Alpha" in a particular column we need to know what column The sheet name to copy these rows to must always be in the same column like column B Or G
As I said before: Column C in all the tabs use the same validation: Open, Closed and On Hold

Also

When you click On Hold the row moves to the On Hold tab - The first row on all the tabs is a header row and all are the same and column C on all the tabs have the same validadtion

Upvote 0
Sure I know this:
The first row on all the tabs is a header row and all are the same and column C on all the tabs have the same validadtion

So when we copy the row to the other sheet what do you want to do insert a new row after row 1.
And do we delete the row where it came form.

Upvote 0
Sure I know this:
The first row on all the tabs is a header row and all are the same and column C on all the tabs have the same validadtion

So when we copy move the row to the other sheet what do you want to do insert a new row after row 1. Always after row 1 will be fine
And do we delete the row where it came form. Yes

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HBryant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back