aiki100

Board Regular
Greetings all - I would like very much to get some assistance with the following please, if anyone has thoughts on it.

=IF(BB2="","",IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="C",J3> $BF2),K3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="O",J3> $BF2),K3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="B",J3> $BF2),I3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="C",I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="O",I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="B",I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",J3<= $BF2),$BF2-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",I3>= $BF2),$BB2-$BF2,"")))))))))

This formula produces what is required, except for this: If "H" (which is an opening price) opens higher than the limit that "H" is not supposed to go beyond "I" (the limit), how could I handle that so that if this condition were met, the formula would return""? I also need the opposite addition, please.

Here is what I (think) would work — but I cannot figure out to how add this in to what I have above.

IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="O",H3< $J2),then blank,
IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="O",H3> $I2),then blank,

In other words, do all of the (longer) above formula, but if any of these two (above) conditions exist, plus that very first one, =IF(BB2="","") then return "".

Any help much appreciated, thank you so much!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Hi,

In my sample below, F1 is the final formula according to your existing formula to include the 2 additional conditions as you described.

C1 is your original formula.
D1 is a shorter version of C1.
E1 is even shorter.
F1 is E1 formula plus adding the 2 new criterion.

I didn't test the formulas, since I didn't want to create all these (there's a bunch) dummy data.
Please test the formula to see if you're getting the correct results:

Book1
CDEF
Sheet49
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1=IF(BB2="","",IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="C",J3> $BF2),K3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="O",J3> $BF2),K3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="B",J3> $BF2),I3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="C",I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="O",I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="B",I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",J3<= $BF2),$BF2-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",I3>= $BF2),$BB2-$BF2,"")))))))))
D1=IF(BB2="","",IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",OR($AV2={"C","O"}),J3> $BF2),K3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="B",J3> $BF2),I3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",OR($AV2={"C","O","B"}),I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",J3<= $BF2),$BF2-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",I3>= $BF2),$BB2-$BF2,""))))))
E1=IF(BB2="","",IF($AR2="x",IF(AND($AZ2="L",J3> $BF2),IF(OR($AV2={"C","O"}),K3-$BB2,IF($AV2="B",I3-$BB2,IF(AND($AZ2="S",OR($AV2={"C","O","B"}),I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AZ2="L",J3<= $BF2),$BF2-$BB2,IF(AND($AZ2="S",I3>= $BF2),$BB2-$BF2,""))))))))
F1=IF(OR(BB2="",AND($AR2="x",OR($AZ2={"L","S"}),$AV2="O",OR(H3<$J2,H3>$I2))),"",IF($AR2="x",IF(AND($AZ2="L",J3> $BF2),IF(OR($AV2={"C","O"}),K3-$BB2,IF($AV2="B",I3-$BB2,IF(AND($AZ2="S",OR($AV2={"C","O","B"}),I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AZ2="L",J3<= $BF2),$BF2-$BB2,IF(AND($AZ2="S",I3>= $BF2),$BB2-$BF2,""))))))))

Upvote 0
Thank you jtakw!

I will certainly test and report back (tho it may be tomorrow by the time I can be thorough about it). I just wanted to thank you for the assist right away.

Question please: I see curly braces in some of the statements. Do I need to enter the whole thing as an array, or no? (trying to learn how your thinking went on this, so I can - hopefully - get smarter about this...)

So very much appreciated - Thanks again!

Upvote 0
You're welcome, no, this is Not an array formula.
The curly brackets houses the criteria for the OR function.
Enter as regular formula.

Upvote 0
just a quick edit and addition to the above:

I just did a (very quick) test, and without
checking accuracy, I can see that all permutations are at least producing results (likely properly) except if AZ2="S", and AV2 is ether "C" or "O". These produce "FALSE." For some reason, the AZ2= "S" + AV2="B" combo works.

Any thoughts please?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmmm, if the AZ2="S" and AV2="B" works, I'm wondering, how is "C" and "O" entered into AV2, manually or by formula, any possibility that there may be leading and/or trailing spaces?

Upvote 0
Ok, may be this will work, think I was missing a couple of "value if false":

Book1
F
Sheet49
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1=IF(OR(BB2="",AND($AR2="x",OR($AZ2={"L","S"}),$AV2="O",OR(H3<$J2,H3>$I2))),"",IF($AR2="x",IF(AND($AZ2="L",J3> $BF2),IF(OR($AV2={"C","O"}),K3-$BB2,IF($AV2="B",I3-$BB2,IF(AND($AZ2="S",OR($AV2={"C","O","B"}),I3< $BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AZ2="L",J3<= $BF2),$BF2-$BB2,IF(AND($AZ2="S",I3>= $BF2),$BB2-$BF2,""))))),""),""))

Let me know if it works out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi

So yes, I found one trailing space - I have found that to get some long formulas to fully appear in the forum post, you sometimes have to add a space between an < or > and the following letter of number. (This per the forum FAQ.)

So I fixed that and I still get FALSE. (and yes, those C,O,B are manually entered...)

I am going to bet that your work is correct, and somehow, mine is wrong. (This is a very likely probability - lol)

So I will look at this more closely tomorrow (west coast, US), when I can learn better what you have put together, and what I have (likely) done wrong.

I will post results as I find them - thank you again VERY much for your help!

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]Hi there - morning…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I now know what the issue is. You provided this (below), which worked, but was producing FALSE errors.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]=IF(OR(BB2="",AND($AR2="x",OR($AZ2={"L","S"}),$AV2="O",OR(H3<$J2,H3>$I2))),"",IF($AR2="x",IF(AND($AZ2="L",J3>$BF2),IF(OR($AV2={"C","O"}),K3-$BB2,IF($AV2="B",K3-$BB2,IF(AND($AZ2="S",OR($AV2={"C","O","B"}),I3<$BF2),$BB2-K3,IF(AND($AZ2="L",J3<=$BF2),$BF2-$BB2,IF(AND($AZ2="S",I3>=$BF2),$BB2-$BF2,""))))))))[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And as predicted, the problem is me, not you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You may recall that in the original request, I said:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

If "H" (which is an opening price) opens higher than the limit that "H" is not supposed to go beyond "I" (the limit), how could I handle that so that if this condition were met, the formula would return""?

Well… it turns out that in the actual sample data I have, this limit, "I", or "J" are indeed sometimes breeched, and that's why it returns FALSE. I also discovered that it is not the return I would actually need. So I built the following to handle these issues:

[FONT=&quot]=IF(BB2="","",IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="C",H3<$J2),H3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="L",$AV2="O",H3<$J2),H3-$BB2,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="C",H3>$I2),$BB2-H3,IF(AND($AR2="x",$AZ2="S",$AV2="O",H3>$I2),$BB2-H3,"")))))[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I then attempted to merge this above with what you originally provided (but without duplicating the initial BB2="",""….)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Whatever I did clearly does not work. Might you have a thought on how to merge these two sets of formula? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many, many thanks again![/FONT]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back