Multiple sessions of Excel in background

albertan

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I had a recent update in my Excel 365 and what I see now is multiple excel sessions open in background. When I go to Task Manager I see a number of these sessions. When I double click on Excel file I get prompted that now my personal macro workbook will be in read only format. It's not only for Excel sessions actually. I also noticed that I get same issue for Chrome. Can somebody please help me what could be the issue and where I should look for help at Microsoft website maybe?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
what could be the issue
There is no issue, it is meant to happen. It would have been doing it before the update, you just didn't notice it until now. I get the same thing on excel 2019, I fairly sure that it also happened with 2016, not sure about older versions. Chrome has also been doing it for a while.

In simple terms, it is done to make things run more efficiently.

Upvote 0
Well, when I click on new excel workbook I get the prompt that Personal Macro Workbook now is in read only mode. So it means a new session. That is not what it was before. I don't want a new session and I want Personal Macro to be active regardless how many workbooks I have open.

Upvote 0
I found this discussion on Microsoft's website and I'm looking into it.

Upvote 0
Multiple instances could simply be down to the method of opening workbooks, see
Also

Upvote 0
Sorry but none of these links you provided are applicable in this case. I don't use any of those ways to open a new session.

Upvote 0
Could you screen capture the sessions in task manager please?
Multiple sessions show in one of 2 ways in the task manager, I want to see which one you have.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back