Multiple values in one field

Kclynn

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I am very new to using access for creating a db. Can a field hold multiple selections? i.e. If we sell different types of equipment and I want to select all the different pieces of equipment they purchase for there project can a field be formatted as an array to hold several sel

jackd

You should research Normalization to understand database design principles.
And this is a key point in Codd's rules on relational database.

Data should be "atomic". That means that data should be stored in its most basic, indivisible
form; for example, avoid storing an address as a single data element, with street number,
street name, apartment number, city, state and zip code. Each of these are separate pieces of

data and should be stored in separately.

JonXL

Office Version
365, 2016
Platform
Windows
I am very new to using access for creating a db. Can a field hold multiple selections?
jackd is absolutely right that this is not good design but in Access it is possible to do. If you are just throwing together a database for yourself for some quick analysis or logging, you can possibly get by using a multivalue field (I have). If you are creating a database app that will be used by other people, you should not use this approach and instead normalize the data as jackd suggests.

Here's MS's article on using multivalue fields in Access:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnPoint

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics