Need formula to generate 5000 6 digit alphanumeric characters

kimhandler

My town conducts a survey of our residents every year using zoomerang. We want to provide each household with a unique 6-digit alphanumeric character (like B3LM25 or K7ST46) in order to access the survey. I need to provide our printer with a file/list of 5000 different codes so he can print one on each postcard we mail out to residents giving them their code.

By their nature, I won't be doing any further calculations with these codes so they can be saved as text. I've figured out how to use the "=char(randbetween(65,90))" function to generate the a single letter, but I can't figure out how to string 6 functions together in one cell to generate the letters and numbers.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type

Andrew Poulsom

MrExcel MVP
Just use the ampersand to concatenate. See if you can adapt this:

=CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))&CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(48,57))

rs2k

Hi Kim,

I have a password generator you can have a copy of, it produces upper & lower case alphanumeric of any length and any amount (I say any, I've only produced a few thousand of up 28 characters long, but you get the idea)

Cheers
Colin

kimhandler

Thank you Andrew....that worked beautifully. I am not in the programming field, so I also learned a new word today--concatenate--Thank you!!
Kim

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilybuhman

This Week's Hot Topics