NEED FORMULA TO LOOK TO THE RIGHT AND THEN 1 ROW ABOVE

JuicyMusic

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello experts, I hope that what I'm writing will be clear. Let me know if you need more information.
Here is the formula that I started writing.
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("*JOB#*",A17)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("*JOB#*",B17))),B17,
A17)

HERE IS WHAT I NEED THE FORMULA TO DO:
FORMULA LOGIC:
If the text string in column B contains the word JOB#, then return the whole string to the same row in column A, if not then return the whole text string from 1 row above (as long as the text string includes the text JOB#).

The formula I need should been in column A. Below is 4 jobs but this whole spreadsheet will have about 50 jobs. Each job has the same number of rows for the type of data. Thank you so much!

Excel Formula:
[ATTACH type="full"]29197[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1609950023890.png
    1609950023890.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 9
Hello, I see now that I wasn't clear at all I'll write it in the logic below.

FORMULA LOGIC: If the text string in column F contains any of these text strings from this list , then return the whole string to the same row in column E, if not then return the whole text string from 1 row above (as long as the text string contains any of these text strings from this list).

The list will be on a tab named "PR TYPE DATABASE". It can be in any column. It just happens to be in column G & H on my tab. And more could be added to this list in the future. Thank you!!

1610031880848.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Give your list a defined name (I've called it ListRng & use
Excel Formula:
=IF(MAX(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(ListRng,B2))),B2,A1)

Upvote 0
For some reason I had to attached the image of my spreadsheet here instead of in the box above.

1610032945715.png

Upvote 0
I was editing what I wrote but I see that you responded before I could attached my spreadsheet. Let me try what you suggested right now.

Upvote 0
Fluff, could you please tell me how to use the ListRng formula? Where do I put it. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the link. I'm looking at it right now. I'll be back if I have any questions.

Upvote 0
Fluff, I'm back. I did name the range even before I went to the link you left me.
Should I insert the MAX formula in the middle of the first formula? The data list is another a different tab. I attached my spreadsheet and looking to have a formula in column B to return back any text in column D that is in the ListRnge.

Is it at all possible to have the first formula you provided me to look at a range instead of just one wildcard? Thank you

Upvote 0
Please forgive me for writing again. I did it! I'm checking the results right now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back