Need HELP figuring formula to calculate mileage

fdzmah

Hello, I need help trying to figure out a formula that would save me heaps of time trying to calculate mileage on expense reports each month, and I cannot for the life of me get the formula down. Following are the specifics:

Mileage is reimbursed at a rate of $0.17/mi for the first 198 miles in the week. Any mileage after 198 is calculated at a rate of $0.56/mi. The mileage log I have is a monthly log, and expenses are turned in on a monthly basis.

Is there a way to create a formula that will calculate on a weekly basis, at the correct rate based on the number of miles in that week thus far?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read/attempting to help out!

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Assuming your mileage for week 1 is in A2:G2, try this:

=IF(SUM(A2:G2) <= 198,SUM(A2:G2)*0.17,(SUM(A2:G2)-198)*0.56+33.66)

Upvote 0
Hello, I need help trying to figure out a formula that would save me heaps of time trying to calculate mileage on expense reports each month, and I cannot for the life of me get the formula down. Following are the specifics:

Mileage is reimbursed at a rate of $0.17/mi for the first 198 miles in the week. Any mileage after 198 is calculated at a rate of $0.56/mi. The mileage log I have is a monthly log, and expenses are turned in on a monthly basis.

Is there a way to create a formula that will calculate on a weekly basis, at the correct rate based on the number of miles in that week thus far?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read/attempting to help out!

Set up your spread sheet as follows:

Cell A1: Mileage Limit, B1: 0, C1: 198

Cell A2: Mileage Rate, B2: 0.17, C2: D2-B2 (formula), D2: 0.56

Cell A4: Week, B4: 1, C4: 2, D4: 3, E4: 4, F4: 5

Cell A5: Mileage, then enter mileage in B5 etc. for the corresponding week

Cell A6: Claim Amount, B6: this formula =SUMPRODUCT((SUM($B5:B5)>$B$1:$C$1)*(SUM($B5:B5)-$B$1:$C$1)*$B$2:$C$2) and rather than pressing enter press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

You can then copy this across C6:F6.

Note the formula should look like this ={SUMPRODUCT((SUM($B5:B5)>$B$1:$C$1)*(SUM($B5:B5)-$B$1:$C$1)*$B$2:$C$2)} if you enter using Ctrl+Shift+Enter (an array formula).

Note this will give you the running total for your weekly claim amount. i.e. the amount calculated for week 2 is inclusive of the amount claimed for week 1. That is to say the last week (either 4 or 5) is the amount to be claimed for the whole month.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back