Need help for searching...

Callamity

I apologize because I do not want to waste your time, but I need help formatting my search for an answer I know is already posted, but I'm not finding useful results. When I open my workbook, it tells me there is an issue and asks if I'd like to recover as much information as possible. I do, and it creates a sheet with the text below. I've scoured my macros/scripts and I see no reference to 2017, or in any macro enabled buttons. I'm using Excel 365.

There error is something like - "We found a problem with some content in (Workbookname).xlsm. Do you want us to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook click "Yes""

C:\Users\my_profile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\Remedy Ticket tracking 2017 (version 1).xlsb

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
AppData file is where AutoRecovery files are stored. Where is the original file?

Upvote 1
AppData file is where AutoRecovery files are stored. Where is the original file?
Thank you for taking the time to respond Skybot. The original files are located on my desktop. The 2017 copy is what the error text is referencing, but I've updated and renamed the file each year until 2021. I am tracking my work tickets, and in 2017 I just hid sheets as the ticket closed which grew the file size more than I liked. As of 2021, I started moving closed tickets to a workbook with the same name and added (closed) to the name, so I've not updated the file since because the file size did not grow exponentially.

I did try to recreate this workbook 100%. I started with a brand new blank workbook. I added my summary page which reflects the most recent update to each sheet/ticket and made sure the macro button names pointed to the correct workbook and any formulas pointed to the new workbook versus an old copy. I copied the first sheet with the ticket info and two macro buttons, imported the two macros, and everything worked perfectly. Then I removed macro buttons from all 160ish ticket sheets in the original, and moved 5-10 sheets at a time to the new book. I'd run the macros each time and save the workbook, and it would reopen perfectly. After moving the 160ish sheets, running the macro, saving and opening with no issues, I opened the new workbook, moved the final 5 sheets, ran the macros, and saved the workbook. When I opened the workbook, it gave me the same error. I deleted the last 5 sheets I moved, ran the macros, saved the file, and reopened to be greeted by the same error. I deleted all the way back to the original 2 sheets and I was still getting the same error each time I reopened the workbook. It seems once that error occurs, it's a cyclical issue I cannot get past. Those last 5 sheets seem to have been what broke the workbook but deleting those sheets (and more) did not remove the issue. I've had no luck finding a resolution to this problem which leads me to believe I'd just asking the wrong questions in my searches?

Upvote 0
Added thought. I save the macros in the individual workbook, not the default "one location works for all macros" that MS Office gives us.

Upvote 0
I don't know why it's losing data. You could try the Open and Repair option?

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you. I had done this open/repair a few times in the past with no luck. I've rebooted multiple times since and so far, the file seems to be opening without incident. As an added bonus, every time I would open the file it would tell me I had links to external sources, but I did not. After running that open/repair, I do not recall seeing that pop up script window either.

Upvote 0
And thanks again. That issue has been plaguing me for a while. Our jobs are somewhat similar to program managers, but since we're not official PMs, we don't get the fun software, so I had to build my own version via Excel. I built this workbook and macros about 12 years ago and I've used it since. I'd be a bit lost without it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back